Cheap bog plants

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I'm nearing the end of constructing my first big pond and bog. It is recommended to have 1 bog plant per square foot, but I have a 48 sf bog! There's no way I can buy 48 bog plants. Can anyone suggest a cheap/plentiful source of bog filtration? Even a temporary one until my carefully chosen bog plants have a chance to grow and fill the space?

I won't have many fish, but I will have birds using the pond for bathing so there could be lots of bird poop so I do need the bog up & running early on.

Thanks!

Ann

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Pothos. If you’ve got one, they are common house plants, take cuttings and put them in the shadiest part of the bog. Iris and day lillies apparently do well in very shallow bog. Mint does well shallow as well.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
impatiens, creeping Jenny, mint, rush, lirope, you can pick up the small plants from the box stores and get them going.
What area do you live in? Cold or hot?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Addy is the bog master. I’m learning from her example, if you go read over the articles about bogs, it’s sure to give you ideas.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Everything @addy1 mentioned plus watercress. And you certainly don't need to start with one plant per square foot. Your plants will grow so fast that you will quickly have an overgrown bog! Start with what you can afford and let nature do her thing!
Thanks Lisa!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
impatiens, creeping Jenny, mint, rush, lirope, you can pick up the small plants from the box stores and get them going.
What area do you live in? Cold or hot?
Addy, I know mint and creeping Jenny can be invasive! Impatiens is annual here, so that might work. (zone 7) I think between the watercress and impatiens, I think you've solved my problem!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
They are a bit invasive here, esp mint I have it popping up here and there. The bees love the flowers so it does not matter to me that it does.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Creeping Jenny does creep, but I wouldn't consider it invasive like mint. Mine has always stayed pretty well where it should. And it's easy to pull up if it wanders too far. Mint, on the other hand, does what mint wants! But like @addy1 said, the bees love it so I've put up with it from time to time. Then I'll rip it all out, dig it all up and say NEVER AGAIN! Ohhhh... what's this? CHOCOLATE MINT?? Why NOT! Haha!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
lol I have mountain mint, water mint, surprise mint, not seeded by me. It is a great fall nectar for the bees.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
Country
United States
I start out with watercress every spring. Just go to the grocery store and get a bag or bunch and tuck stems in your bog. It will root and take off like crazy.
Great info on watercress, why didn’t I think of that. To the grocery store I go.

Ask a Question