Cicadas are about to show up - any issues in your experience?

Moni_Pond

Fish Mom
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Any day now we are expecting cicada Brood XIX, to emerge in Missouri, USA. This will be my first experience with a pond and cicadas. I don’t have a filter other than a bog filter. I am the skimmer 🤣. Our pond and property is heavily wooded with the pond being mostly shade due to the major tree coverage.

I am wondering if anyone has any experiences to share regarding cicadas and ponds. Will the larger goldfish eat on them? I know my birds and land critters will be feasting, but curious if they may be of benefit or detriment to pond health?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
We had a brood a few years back. Honestly, I didn't really notice them in or around the pond at all. Other than the noise, that is! Oh, and one of my dogs spent the entire time rooting around in the woods like some little pig on a truffle hunt, gorging herself on them. :rolleyes:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Assuming if they fall/fly on top of the water... and fish eat them... would be ok? I know I've heard/read they are safe to eat... assuming for fish too?

I have a large bluegill in with all my other fish to keep the minnows in check since the koi don't ... really eat them? That bluegill picks anything odd on top of the water ... so I know it'll take them.

I'm sure he'll be eating the tadpoles and baby toads too .. he's a pig. But like my let dog... follows me all over by that pond.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Expect a lot of noise! Should be no problems with the pond.

But you might see some really cool flying insects — cicada killer wasps. They are big and they look mean, but aren’t harmful to people, in general! Don’t kill them. They are beneficial, and kinda neat!

IMG_8984.jpeg

Moni_Pond

Fish Mom
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Assuming if they fall/fly on top of the water... and fish eat them... would be ok? I know I've heard/read they are safe to eat... assuming for fish too?

I have a large bluegill in with all my other fish to keep the minnows in check since the koi don't ... really eat them? That bluegill picks anything odd on top of the water ... so I know it'll take them.

I'm sure he'll be eating the tadpoles and baby toads too .. he's a pig. But like my let dog... follows me all over by that pond.
Sounds like he’s a pond puppy!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Expect a lot of noise! Should be no problems with the pond.

But you might see some really cool flying insects — cicada killer wasps. They are big and they look mean, but aren’t harmful to people, in general! Don’t kill them. They are beneficial, and kinda neat!

View attachment 162986
Are these the ones that fly low and do figure eights? I recall seeing them at my old house years back, probably when we had a boom of cicadas.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@Wildneg Probably. They are not at all aggressive — though they look demonic! I have had them come up to me and all but light on my arm or leg. They just slowly cruise around and say “hello.” I have witnessed them flying with a live and very noisy cicada in tow (hence their size). They dig [sometimes, very obvious] tunnels in the dirt where they lay their eggs, and of course, deposit the cicada! Fascinating creatures!

JMJ

Marsh Gorilla
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Are these the ones that fly low and do figure eights? I recall seeing them at my old house years back, probably when we had a boom of cicadas.
I think the ones you‘re describing are a cousin of the the cicada killer called a “horseguard“ wasp. They hunt sand flies and horse flies and bury them in a burrow the same way a cicada killer does with cicadas.

Moni_Pond

Fish Mom
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Update! It’s extremely early in the cicada visit, however I do already have an abundance of cicada skin shells in the pond. So, fish definitely don’t eat them. :)

Ask a Question