Floating islands

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My koi pond is approx 11'x11'x2.5' deep
There is no shelving to put plant baskets on.
I bought 35mm square floating baskets 3/4 filled them with aquatic compost topped with gravel,.
When I put them in the pond they sank, the supplier offered to change them but I don't know if I am doing something wrong,
Any guidance will be appreciated
Thanks

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
What weight limit do they have for the baskets? The gravel might be too heavy.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Sorry to hear of your frustration. I made my own floating ring out of a foam (wreath) ring from a craft store and covered it in some shade cloth then stuck some watercress in the middle. Watercress will apparently grow anywhere if it comes in contact with water and needs no soil at all so it worked fine. But the craft ring could hold more weight than I had expected. I stuck some planter in there at first and it didn't sink at all. Just an idea that might work for you.

Attachments

• 20240327_125039-EDIT.jpg
    20240327_125039-EDIT.jpg
    238.4 KB · Views: 14
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Unles your planting lillies i would just use 3/8" pea stone but only a couple inches worth the plants will get the nutrients from the water and not the soil this helps keep the algae string or other wise at bay

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You can also reduce the weight by using kitchen scrubbies in the bottom half of the planter. I wouldn't use gravel.

I, too, made an island with a piece of a Styrofoam insulation panel and a couple of pool noodles around the edges. Punched holes in the Styrofoam and put in impatien plants with the soil washed off the roots. I did make a net under it with plastic mesh fencing to protect the roots from the fish, and it worked very well.

Can't seem to get a picture to work, but there is one in the thread titled "How to plant impatiens in filter".

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
You can also reduce the weight by using kitchen scrubbies in the bottom half of the planter. I wouldn't use gravel.

I, too, made an island with a piece of a Styrofoam insulation panel and a couple of pool noodles around the edges. Punched holes in the Styrofoam and put in impatien plants with the soil washed off the roots. I did make a net under it with plastic mesh fencing to protect the roots from the fish, and it worked very well.

Can't seem to get a picture to work, but there is one in the thread titled "How to plant impatiens in filter".
👍

Ask a Question