Coffee and Caviar

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
So this morning I noticed my large yellow koi racing around the pond. When I went out to check out the problem, I found out that the koi I thought were females are males and vs versa! Video is long. I'm seriously worried about the female being chased by 5 males. I tried to net her out but was not able to catch her and didn't want to add to the stress. This is only 2nd spawn since this pond was built 8 years ago. Sorry for the extremely long video.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Well, 9 hours later and their still at it! Getting really confused as to who's male or female. 2 that we were sure that were males are females unless the girls are chasing the boys. Not a lot of eggs so hopefully no pond full of fry.
I'm guessing there is no way to get them to stop???

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
If you can't net the female, what about netting some of the others to reduce the number of males chasing her?

I see you have a floating ball !! I love Colleens, but haven't been able to locate one.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
If you can't net the female, what about netting some of the others to reduce the number of males chasing her?

I see you have a floating ball !! I love Colleens, but haven't been able to locate one.
I have no idea whos who now! Small thin fish being chased by large fat fish.Seems backwards! I found my first ball at a local nursery & paid big money. The new large one I got thru Amazon. Disappointed as it said no hole in it and there is a small hole. Sealed it with silicone and it still filled with water and sunk.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I have no idea whos who now! Small thin fish being chased by large fat fish.Seems backwards! I found my first ball at a local nursery & paid big money. The new large one I got thru Amazon. Disappointed as it said no hole in it and there is a small hole. Sealed it with silicone and it still filled with water and sunk.
I keep my eyes open every time I visit a nursery.....one day I'll find one !!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Hope they settle down soon. Is it late in the season for spawning? I just found eggs today too and thought they would have been done by now but the crazy weather may have delayed it.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Hope they settle down soon. Is it late in the season for spawning? I just found eggs today too and thought they would have been done by now but the crazy weather may have delayed it.
Mine spawned for weeks last year. A little late this year but I'm hoping they're done. Still have one female that is huge.

Ask a Question