COUPLE OF NEWBIE QUESTIONS

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
A small kitty pool at wal mart / dollar store will work great for the submerged plants as well as some marginals and small lilys depending on depth. for $10-$20 its a cheap holding container that can be used later for other pond puposes as well.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I used oyster shells to plant my lilies with a topping of a few rocks so koi would not dig as much and used planting bags not pots so I can use fishing line to sew the basket together in a few spots .I also soak my plants a little so the water is not to cloudy but also found the cloudiness goes away in an hour or two and I would guess helps clarify the water .Seems the koi stay away from the oyster shells but go nuts over the kitty litter as they seem to like clay .

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I got my 100 gal. Rubbermaid container and have it set up to hold my plants until the pond is ready. Have a small pump and added a few goldfish.

Using a crate and some flat rocks, I put my 2 little lilies in about 6 inches lower than what they were previously (since the tank is deeper than the other container I had them in) and put my 4-leaf clovers in (they're a couple of inches deeper than the stem length). It's been amazing to watch how the stems are growing in order for the leaves to reach the surface! I never knew water plants did that: adjust to water depth. And the lilie pad-leaves are getting larger, too!

Another interesting thing I did was put some water lettuce in the 2 plant saucers I'm using as water bowls for the turtles. The water bowls have to be emptied, rinsed,& refilled anywhere from 2-4 times a day (that's why I wanted a pond for the turtles!). I added the plants yesterday, and either the turtles are scared of the plants and haven't even been in the bowls, or the water lettuce is filtering the water already! I added some water this afternoon, but didn't have to empty them.....

Reaction score
When I dug out my pond the last foot was pure clay so I have a small mountain of the stuff next to my large mountain of top soil. I just get a trowel full of it and put this in the pot then get it wet and add my plant. I got a bottle of free plant tabs the last time I ordered lilies so I've been using those, so far no ill effects to the water and I guess it's working, not really sure about that.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Clay is fine to use for soil as long as the koi keep their mitts off of them. If they dig in the pots it might muck up the water a bit.

Reaction score
Yeah, the first one I lowered into the water made a small upside down mushroom cloud of clay. I made sure to do a better job rinsing the 2nd and 3rd ones. To keep the koi out I've put a piece of small flagstone covering as much as I could of the pea gravel. There is just one spot for the lily pads to emerge.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
They smell out clay, believe me been there done that and only thing I can plant my pond plants in is the crushed oyster shells and some lava rocks on top .Now that my koi are getting bigger they seem to be rooting less

Ask a Question