Crawdads- What to do about them?

Reaction score
I am sure that many of you have had crawdads in your pond before. Some people call them crayfish. They are also known as crawdaddies, and crawfish. I have not seen any in my pond, but I pulled out one of my pond plants and the pot was swarming with their babies. Little tiny crawdad babies. And, I have noticed that my fish's fins are looking a little worse for wear lately.

This irritates me. How do you handle the crawdads getting in your pond? I wouldn't mind them in there if they didn't bother the fish. But as it is right now, I don't really see any way to get them out, short of draining my pond. And even then, they'll probly be right back in the summer. Perhaps once my fish get large enough, I could put some young largemouth bass in the pond, to eat the crawfish.

Attachments

• pond_crayfish2.jpg
    pond_crayfish2.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 2,028

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I don't think we have them here, so no idea what to do about them.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Shrimp on the Barbie?
I'm not a big chemical fan but: I wonder if there is a chemical that shell fish can't handle that fish can?

Reaction score
Guess I'll take that as: "There's no way to get rid of 'em, and no way way to keep 'em out." Oh well. One day the fish will get too big to be harassed by the crawdads.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Barbie
The freshwater crayfish not only looks like a miniature lobster, but tastes almost as good as its saltwater relative. The first step to preparing crayfish for the table is to wash the live crayfish in cool, clean water. After washing, the crayfish are blanched (par boiled) in hot water for about five minutes. This process kills and cooks the crayfish, kills any bacteria present, turns the crayfish a brilliant red color, and facilitates peeling the meat from the claws and tail. Next, remove the intestinal track by twisting and pulling the middle flipper of the tail. Some prefer to cook only the claws and tails. After simmering, remove the meat from the claws and tail, add butter, salt, and pepper, and enjoy; crayfish meat may be served hot or cold.

Reaction score
Oh I've ate 'em before. I just would rather eat ones that I didn't have to fish out of my pond first.

As for the Koi eating them, that might happen, but I have my doubts about it. They get fed regularly, and the crawdad is a good escape artist. Also when they are adult size, they are generally too big for the average sized koi to eat. And, they spend much of their time hiding. I'd say its a long shot at best that the koi could help get rid of the crawdads.

Now a largemouth bass may be another story. They are not omnivorous, but carnivorous. They are quite a popular gamefish in the entire lower United States. (i realize i may be talking to people from other countries here) Basically they are large Chiclids that feed on pretty much any smaller creature they come across. I love to go fishing for them. Though I generally just throw them back when I catch them. A largemouth bass or two would probly eat up the crawdads. See below for a pic of the largmouth bass:

Attachments

• Largemouth-Bass.jpg
    Largemouth-Bass.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 471
  • Largemouth+Bass.jpg
    Largemouth+Bass.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 560

stroppy

stroppy
Reaction score
BennyLava said:
Oh I've ate 'em before. I just would rather eat ones that I didn't have to fish out of my pond first.

As for the Koi eating them, that might happen, but I have my doubts about it. They get fed regularly, and the crawdad is a good escape artist. Also when they are adult size, they are generally too big for the average sized koi to eat. And, they spend much of their time hiding. I'd say its a long shot at best that the koi could help get rid of the crawdads.

Now a largemouth bass may be another story. They are not omnivorous, but carnivorous. They are quite a popular gamefish in the entire lower United States. (i realize i may be talking to people from other countries here) Basically they are large Chiclids that feed on pretty much any smaller creature they come across. I love to go fishing for them. Though I generally just throw them back when I catch them. A largemouth bass or two would probly eat up the crawdads. See below for a pic of the largmouth bass:

but would they eat your koi too ?

Reaction score
Yeah that's why I'd have to wait for the koi to be pretty much adult size lol. At least a foot and a half long. Probly better if they were 2 feet. Then I'd be safe with some smaller bass. Thought about maybe using perch or crappie, but I don't think they slup down the crawdads like a bass does.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Oh well, I hear Austrailians don't drink Fosters either. I thought that was rather humerous since the commercials here say otherwise.;)
What is your take on beer?
Dave

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mochosla

Latest Threads