Crazy Algae !! - Please help

Reaction score
Country
United States
Good morning everyone, Im getting this crazy algae on one of my ponds... any advice as to how to control this algae growth? some of it I'm getting is dark in color, I want to say almost black... this is bad for the fish? attached are some of the pictures showing what I'm talking about.

Any informations is greatly appreciated
Thanks
Marcelo

Attachments

• IMG_0871.JPG
    IMG_0871.JPG
    169.2 KB · Views: 313
  • IMG_0872.JPG
    IMG_0872.JPG
    184.3 KB · Views: 224
  • IMG_0781.JPG
    IMG_0781.JPG
    129.2 KB · Views: 204
  • IMG_0782.JPG
    IMG_0782.JPG
    142.4 KB · Views: 234
Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi, thank you for your answer, yes I do have 4 left that I put yesterday back in to the large pond.

This this algae bad? how can I control it?

Thanks

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Wow! What a healthy crop of periphyton!
I see no aquatic plantings in any of the photos. These are a must if you ever expect to control algae growth without dangerous chemical treatments.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Algae protects fish in most cases .But funny thing is I dealt with this over a month ago with a couple and they had pond lights and fish they stopped over feeding the fish and turned off the pond lights and got a uv and they are happy now .They were feeding the fish 2 times a day .It has since cleared up and they now put down lights outside the pond and all is good .Can't really say where the algae came from ,thinking over feeding but you never know .The pond was worse than your pond .They removed a lot by hand also .

IPA

Reaction score
63b Chesapeake-Pamlico Lowlands and Tidal Marshes
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Hi, thank you for your answer, yes I do have 4 left that I put yesterday back in to the large pond.

This this algae bad? how can I control it?

Thanks
I'm going say first, others here will give you better advice and I think you've gotten some good advice already. First, Koi or Oscars are too big for the width of that pond. If it were me I'd either move them to the small pond temporarily depending on what's in it or quarantine them, probably best option, or find new homes for them. This may not be the proper advice but I would reset the whole thing, scrubed and cleaned, bold a bog in the shallow end and then decide what some good fish and aquatic life options are from opinions here. As I said, others here will probably have better advice.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Wow! What a healthy crop of periphyton!
I see no aquatic plantings in any of the photos. These are a must if you ever expect to control algae growth without dangerous chemical treatments.
We have one papyrus plant, no more, what other plans do you recommend that would not overgrow the pond and preferably that would stay under water...?

Ask a Question