Cattails- Am I crazy for planting them?

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I just got 6 Broadleaf cattail plants. Not planning on putting them in pond or bog. Our yard is sloped and the low point is behind the one pond which is where the outflows from the backflush on the filters empties out to. This is where I want to plant the cattails. 2 reasons- #1 - to attract Red-wing Blackbirds, #2- block the deer path. We have a huge deer population and they enter the yard thru this area. Am I setting my self up for trouble? This is not an area that would normally get mowed.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Deer will have no problem walking through cattails. They can maneuver through all sorts of thick plant life with relative ease.

I don't know if you're setting yourself up for trouble, but once you have them, I imagine you'll permanently have them. I personally don't like cattails, simply because I've seen ponds and rivers disappear to them. Too aggressive of a plant for my taste.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I had some in the bog before so I know how invasive they can be. Going to give it a try for a year and see how it goes.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
These will be going behind the ponds at the edge of the woods. The area is impossible to mow as any water drained from filters and pond overflow go there.

Ask a Question