Damselfly

Reaction score
Well, I love this pond we have. It has certainly, through forced research, opened my eyes and given me better understanding of the creatures that inhabit it and make use of it.

Now, after researching the plants, the birds and the toads, I’m interested in dragonflies/damselflies. I’ve already posted pics elsewhere of dragonflies I've seen and the research has helped me realise that damselflies aren’t dragonflies but now I am stuck at damselflies.

I realise that Google, Wikipedia, etc. aren’t necessarily true saviours of the ignorant but I am having trouble identifying a visiting damselfly.

The closest I can come to it is either a Banded or Beautiful Demoiselle. The only problem I have is that the wings are definitely not “banded” but they are also not (as) fully covered in blue as per the Beautiful. There is another problem in as much as I don’t think that the wings are necessarily as deep as on the Demoiselles.

So, any ideas what this is? These photos were taken from a distance (it could spot me a mile off and wouldn’t hang around) using zoom so the definition isn’t the best but, still, they aren’t bad shots.

btw, I'm in Eastern Europe.

Attachments

• df04a.jpg
    df04a.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 245
  • df03.jpg
    df03.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 268

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Reaction score
Thanks Addy1. I had actually seen all three links and have now sent of pictures to the British Dragonfly Society.

I'm with you, in as much as I think it could be a variation of the banded but all the pictures that I have seen, where the top portion isn't actually transparent, the blue is nowhere near as dense as lower down and, in my pictures, the density appears to be the same throughout.

Having said that, lol, just re-doing a google/images came up with a link http://www.raywilson..._splendens.html that has an example that says "Some of the subspecies in southeastern Europe have more extensive blue areas on the wings of the male with only a very narrow clear band at the tip of the wing" and was taken in Bulgaria a few years ago, so I guess mine could have very narrow clear bands at the tip and it is a Calopteryx splendens ancilla/balcanica.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
There are so many variations, it can be tough to pin them down. What ever it is, it is a very pretty damselfly

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5B
I've had a couple of them visit as well. The ones we've seen are a very pale blue with clear wings. Very pretty to look at as the colour is so brilliant. We've also noticed a couple of large dragonflies too. They amaze me, but the damselflies are much nicer to look at. Based on the photos on this site >>> http://littlebrownjobbies.blogspot.ca/2011/02/damselflies-of-ontario.html

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Went fishing the other day and there were tons of dragonflies and Damselflies(blue like in the 2nd photo on the link) also. They were landing on us and our poles for a free ride while we paddled around the lake in our pool float chairs. Some were flying in tandem. I didn't bring a camera as it would have ended up in the drink :rolleyes:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5B
Wendy, if you have a water fall in your set-up, look in the springtime. I had some sort of larvae on my waterfall rocks. Some were black fly larvae identified with a bit of help here in the forums, but some had 3 whispy tails. Based on what I've read about damsel flies, the larvae have external gills on their bums (tip of the abdomen). They look like 3 tails. If you've noticed any of those on your rocks, you have damsel fly larvae. The adults come and go, so I guess it's just a matter of being at the right place (your pond) at the right time. I don't see them at my pond all the time, but they drop by for a visit, along with some dragon flies.... so it's just a matter of being there when they are. If your pond is anywhere near a natural wet land, you're bound to have some show up at some point. Along with the bluets that show up in my yard, I've seen red ones in the area as well. They're much smaller than dragon flies for the most part in North America and they sit very still when they're perched on a plant so they can be hard to spot..... but I bet you do have some.

Ask a Question