Dark blue-turquoise algae... URGENT (I think)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
Canada
Hello all.
This algae turned up in my pond. I only noticed it today, might have been there yesterday as I did not have a chance to get out yesterday.
In the 1-2 days this algae has taken over. It is growing on all of my parrots tail, seems to be stifling it. Growing on roots of everything and on dirt... literally on everything.
Also worth mentioning is that I found a snail in my pond for the first time today... though that may be unrelated.
The algae is a dark turquoise, and isn't coming off in strings as much as thick chunks. Slimy consistency.
My fish don't seem to be affected yet.
Pond is 900gal, filtration through this filter. It seems to have been fine so far. Water test conducted a week ago turned up pretty normal, no ammonia or nitrites, pH around 9.
What might have caused this, and how do I get rid of it?
I have been reading about blue-green algae but it seems to look slightly different than the pictures I've seen. I've experienced string algae and green water and this isn't like either of them. I'm worried that it might be toxic to my fish...
Please help.
Thank you all in advance

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
Canada
IMG_8832.JPG
IMG_8827.JPG
IMG_8824.JPG
IMG_8822.JPG
IMG_8819.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
Canada
Upon closer examination and more reading, it is almost certainly blue-green algae. I cant get any good pictures and my good camera is dead... ill get more pictures in an hour

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
No problem. @MitchM he lives in Canada he might have a idea on what it is and what to do.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Hi Ralph,
The green stuff you see just may be cyanobacteria, and it grows with excess nitrates, mainly.
The filter design you have really only holds and traps detritus where it breaks down and releases nitrates back into the pond.
The amount you have doesn't look like it's enough to harm your fish, but it will continue to grow until you can clean the water better.
More water circulation will help (temporary until you can get the water cleaned up) and a filter like a canister filter that you can trap and remove the detritus out of the pond.
A combination of 20% weekly water changes, done properly, will help.
If the growth is a lot worse than what your pictures show, there is an antibiotic available that won't hurt the nitrifying bacteria, but you will need to really increase the water circulation, filtration and aeration. Numerous water changes would be required after the treatment.
The product name is Boyd's Chemiclean and I think it comes in a vial size to treat 900g.

Ask a Question