Rocks and water hyacinth turning dark

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
On my waterfall rocks (tier of 3) it looks as if an algea is growning on them that is dark in color and also the bottom leaves on my water hyacinths are turning dark. What can be causing this? My two goldfish are doing great and getting bigger so I don't think it 's affecting them at all. The rest of my pond rocks and pond looks clean and my water is pretty clear too. Just wondering if there's something else I should be doing or if this is normal...I'd have to take a couple pic's I guess to really show what I mean but it's dark here now. Oh and I had a little three inch rock on one of the tier rocks in the waterfall and when I moved it the tier flat rock below it looked like it did new.
Any idea as to what is causing this give me a shout please. Thanks!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It can be algae, algae does love to grow on rocks that are wet.

Be best if you can post a picture when it gets light out.

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
From what you describe it sounds perfectly normal. Algae is probably just growing on the rocks.

hewhoisatpeace

Evil Genius
Reaction score
Don't scrub it off, either. Rocks in the pond really are a recipe for disaster in my opinion, they look good for a while, but will rapidly be covered with green algae and will trap detritus and fish poop in the pond. Part of the pond "cycling" is the growth of carpet algae over everything underwater, if this is removed, you will lose the filtration that it provides. It will also cover a bare pond floor well.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Think the rocks are just in their water fall Will, not bottom of the pond. Mine in arizona grew this nice green carpet of algae at the waterfall.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Here are a few pictures of what I was talking about...note on the second platform rock down in the waterfall where I removed the rock, it is clean like it was when I put the waterfall up. It is kinda slimey so it probably is some sort of algea. The bottom of my pond which is the plastic liner kind is clear as a bell other than some sand and sediment from the rocks and the rocks in my pond are still clean with just some spots on rocks that have the green algea on them.

Attachments

• P6071920.jpg
    P6071920.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 805
  • P6071916.jpg
    P6071916.jpg
    155 KB · Views: 818
  • P6071917.jpg
    P6071917.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 904

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I would say algae on the rocks, dieing hyacinth leaves. Does it feel slimy?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
yes it does...and do hyacinths do this on the bottom? Should I just snip the brown ones off?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
also should the roots on my water hyacinth's be so dark? It looks like the stuff thats on my waterfall is on them too...ugh and everythings growing so well !

hewhoisatpeace

Evil Genius
Reaction score
OMG, you've got to hurry!!!

And get a cool drink. Nothing out of the ordinary there. No algae will grow without sunlight, and leaves do get old and die. No worries, mate!

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
The roots on the hyacinths should be black, the water fall looks normal, appears to be maturing and the algae growth seems to be pretty normal as well, The Hyacinths leaves turning brown don't look to bad but a little disturbing. I would try clumping them in a planter ring and moving them to the calmest place in the pond as possible. Are they newly introduced, If so you could be seeing a shock from different enviroment. If that's the case they will come back out. Try and remove the brown bulb and leaf once the whole leaf had turned brown.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
phew well thats good to know...I wasn't to worried about the dark coloring and assumed it was algea growth, but wasn't sure since my pond is only about 3 months old now. It could also very well be shock for the hyacinths since they were just put in about 2 weeks ago (I got them off of ebay). I only have two little clumps (about the size that was in my hand in the picture) and they seem to float around where ever my two gold fish like to push them. Oh and wow do gold fish grow! We were on vacation the past 10 days and I swear they are 3x bigger now and they only get like a 1/2 tsp of fish food every day (I'm assuming my son who was watching our place fed them).

Ask a Question