Dealing with mosquitos

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi I was wondering what people have found to be the best way to control mosquitos in their ponds?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Mosquito larvae can only survive in standing (still) water. So as long as there's movement, you won't have a problem. If you're keeping fish and plants, you should have water movement anyway.

You should also look around your property for anything that may hold standing water.

You can use mosquito dunks to prevent them in areas with standing water. I'm not sure if the mosquito dunks are harmful to fish, you will have to check the label.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome! Tell us something about your pond!

Agree with what @poconojoe said.

@poconojoe Mosquito Dunks contain Bacillus thuringiensis. I know that BT is fish-safe,but don’t know if MD’s contain any other ingredients (binders and stuff like that) that would be harmful to fish.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1597354333092.gif
@NatureMade
Fish should eat them up fast, mine do!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
A bat can eat thousands of them every night. I put up a bat house last year, but no one moved in yet. I studied where to put it, how high and I bought a good one from The Bat Conservancy. Oh well, many one of these days they'll find it.

C

corgi

I have a large pond and use the Mosquito Bits or Dunks which work quite well. The Bits can also be sprinkled on the soil of
inside plants to stop root gnats. A couple tablespoons sprinkled around on the plant soil and then watered will keep the
root gnats casings coated so that they do not hatch. Our half acre pond has enough bird and fish action to keep them in check
most years, unless it's been an extremely wet season.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Mosquito larvae can only survive in standing (still) water. So as long as there's movement, you won't have a problem. If you're keeping fish and plants, you should have water movement anyway.

You should also look around your property for anything that may hold standing water.

You can use mosquito dunks to prevent them in areas with standing water. I'm not sure if the mosquito dunks are harmful to fish, you will have to check the label.
Dunks are not harmful to fish

Ask a Question