Did I ruin my new pond?

c2g

Reaction score
C2g,
How is the pond progressing? Are you still using the dunks?

Still using the dunks. Using a half dunk every 3-4 weeks and no signs of larvae (in fact, I haven't added any in about a month). As far as I can tell from this year, the dunks live up to the claim that they only target mosquito larvae. Although I've heard toads at night, haven't seen any eggs so a few weeks ago I added about 100 or so toad tadpoles that came from a nearby pond. They seem to be doing well. Plenty of dragonflies/damselflies visiting the pond and lots of birds frequent it for drinks/baths.

In other news, about a week ago I went through my usual routine of fishing out most of the string algae with a toy rake. Up until now, it usually came back strong over the next few days. Now, for the first time this season, the water is clear and it doesn't seem to be coming back. Haven't added any barley in over a month. I'm wondering if all the trees and plants leafing out around the pond and casting more shade during the day has something to do with it, along with all of the shelf plants pretty much coming out as well. It also rained for 5 days straight. I'll just wait and see what happens.

full

full

full

full

Last edited:

herzausstahl

herzausstahl
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Looking great! I'll need to be on the lookout for a toy rake. So far a pole from a cut down tree (1 to 1 1/2" dia) is what I use. Thinking of trying to make something out of 1/2-3/4 " PVC to hook/fish it out. Will let you know if it works. I had the same here, several frogs but no eggs.

Reaction score
My neighbor has 2 frog ponds with no plants, rocks, fish nothing. They are several years old now and the frogs love it! He lets muck settle and leaves float and the frogs thrive. He has the biggest frogs and bull frogs around. It is covered with little tiny round green things and the frogs float and sit on the leaves. I offered to clean them out while I was cleaning is fish pond and he said NO WAY, I never clean them. His frogs are very social and love to stare people down and sing to them. I don't know how that works but it is.

c2g

Reaction score
After the string algae became manageable, the duckweed started taking over and filled out the pond surface over the past week. Can usually spot a few toadlets whenever I'm back there, while some tadpoles remain without arms or legs. Even though I can't see what's going on beneath the surface, I haven't been tempted to remove any of the duckweed yet. I guess my pond is in the state I envisioned when I set out to dig last year, so I'm going to enjoy it as is for now.

full

herzausstahl

herzausstahl
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Looking great and natural. With nothing to eat the duckweed it's bound to take over, but looks cool in a pond like this. And you can always net some out if it gets to be too much. Are you still using the dunks?

c2g

Reaction score
Went away for two weeks to the pacific NW and checked out what's been happening in the pond. A lot of new blooms from the native wildflowers on the outskirts, but the biggest change was the dense mat of duckweed I came back to. Noticed a caterpillar casually walking across it this morning.
My spring tadpoles are now 2" toads who are often spotted around the leaf litter. Can count at least a dozen damselflies on the surface at any given time.
I've been trying to read up on duckweed to see how much is too much. Personally, I love the look of it and am fine with not seeing the bottom. While the water is crystal clear, it's been tough taking water samples with jars to check out what's living in there without scooping up a ton of duckweed with it.
Most of what I'm reading touts the benefits of duckweed for contaminated water cleanup. Either that, or how people with fish ponds (or who want to see water) try to get rid of it. It's easy enough to sweep out with a log, but I don't want to scoop out insects/tadpoles with it. Contemplating just leaving it be.
full

full

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Wow what a neat pond! I love duckweed and can't keep it in my pond as the fish pigs devour it like I do ice cream if it's in the house :)
Guess you don't want gold fish in there tho as it's just for wildlife. What about some minnows?

Last edited:

herzausstahl

herzausstahl
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg As I said from the beginning it's your pond do what you want with it. I vote leave it be. JW he's going for all natural & fish less to preserve all the critters in it I believe. Always been my desire to create a pond like this too. C2g, if your looking for confirmation it's a good idea, here's some pics of a plaque from my local wildlife sanctuary by a natural pond they have by one of the buildings.

Ask a Question