Where Did You Get Your Goldfish ?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It seems Koi keepers go to breeders for their fish. Where do goldfish people get theirs, breeder, pet shop, other goldfish keepers. I have some shubunkin from local pet store, when I see photos of some member's shubunkin I realize what poor quality mine are.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Everywhere..... pet shops, pond shops, local breeder, from a pond I removed for a customer.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
First fish were feeder fish from Petsmart. Then got some off a site called Freecycle.org, then some Shubbies from Petsmart.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Some from Petsmart, WalMart, Mom & Pop local pet store, breeder in Hawaii, breeder in Baton Rouge, Koi to the World [online, they sell goldfish as well as koi], and some that self-bred in the pond. And of all the ones I bought, there was no difference in hardiness. Go figure.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a/b
Country
United States
Initial fish were feeders from Petco. Then from local garden centers that also had variety of gf and koi

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I bought my fish from a couple of local pond stores. My sister started her pond with goldfish her kids won at a carnival. :) I believe she still has a couple of them and that would make them about 12 years old.

Patfish

Ignore the mask and cape
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Mine are all feeder fish from local pet shops

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have a few feeder fish, employees let me pick when I told them not going to be food. I got to thinking when another thread stated shubankins should have red, none of mine do. I picked them out at petsmart for blue color.

ZEROPILOT

Faster than you are.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a-10b
Country
United States
In the past. I had an agreement that if a goldfish survived my cichlids as food, or any goldfish I got as food that had unusual coloration, they would live out their lives in a pond.
I ended up with 20 goldfish in two small ponds.
Now those same goldfish live in a 100 gallon tank with four golden shiners who had survived a Peacock bass fishing trip.
Only one of those goldfish has been reintroduced into the new pond. He's very large. White with an orange head.
Otherwise, it's just koi in the pond and I'm trying to find forever homes for the remaining paroled goldfish.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Our local fish hatchery sells koi, comets and shubunkin, in addition to fish to stock lakes with.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
My first two fish were from a pet shop. Overpriced, but didn't know that at the time.
I've also gotten some from a guy who runs his own business out of his basement. Gotten some from a local garden center, and gotten some from a pond business.

Many of those fish were when I was still trying to figure out how to maintain a healthy pond, and I lost many of them. Now, I have about four fish that were purchased and the rest are fish were all born in my pond over the past three years. I really miss many of the fish I used to have. Had a lot of shubunkins with great variety. Now I mainly have orange or white.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
All my original fish where rejects from a koi breeder .None of them were good enough for sale to customers ,so they set up an area inside a greenhouse and sold them for a couple of dollars .None over 5 dollars .Mine were up to 3 dollars in price.He also sold goldfish that were not up to standard

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I bought a few from PetSmart...anywhere from $0.28 to $4.98 and a few from a local nursery that specializes in ponds. I forget how much they were, but I do remember they was cheaper than the most expensive PetSmart ones I bought.

Ask a Question