Algorem didn't work

Reaction score
Country
South Africa
Being a lazy, impatient, newbie, when my pond turned pea green I rushed out and bought the product Algorem. I topped up my 2000L pond with tap water (about 2% fresh water) and then the next morning I shook the bottle and pored in 100ml of Algorem (no dilution before addition at the prescribed 10ml:200L ratio). I inspected my pond ever hour or so and to my disappointment there was zero change in the clarity. The next morning I added an additional 50ml. Still no change. 4 days later I added 500g of salt (first ever salt addition to pond) yesterday afternoon. This morning I looked at my pond and it's still green. Reading other posts I see many people's fish died. Mine all seem quite happy. So I'm not sure 1. Why I saw no improvement after applying 50% too much or 2. Why others people's fish died.

My question is how do I safely get my water clear? I don't want to invest in a UV light. I'd value some advice.

Many thanks

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Hello and welcome to GPF Mowgli! Glad you are reading posts regarding your new pond. Also glad you have not had any fish die! The best product you can add to your pond to clear the water is TIME! A new pond takes time to work thru a cycle. Green water is good! Not sure about the Algorem you added, guessing it is an algaecide and those are never good. You say you are impatient so spend some time doing more reading about new pond syndrome and water quality. If you don't have a test kit (not strips) you will need one. Also, most tap water is treated with chlorine and that is bad for fish. There are a lot of different products that can treat the water to remove chlorine.
There will be many members posting and most will ask the same questions so suggest you go to the introduction section and tell us all about your pond. We love new members but in order to help, a lot of info is good. Size and age of pond, type and number of fish, any test results, etc. Also, we love pictures! Again - Welcome!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our group!

You need to let the pond cycle. Add plants they eat up the extra nutrients. I never have green water, I filter only with a large "bog" pea gravel planted with a lot of plants.
I never add anything to my pond.

How many fish? and what kind. How often are you feeding them? How long has the pond been running?

What water test results do you get. Use a liquid api test kit and post your results.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Welcome!
In addition to the above questions, also please include what your current filtration is.
I would start doing some proper water changes to rid your pond of salt, as well.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Welcome, yes, set up an intro, and be prepared to post pics, share test results, and all the info. I’ve had pea green water, so thick I couldn’t see beyond a few inches, my fish were fine. They even bred. I think volume and airation play a big roll on that, lots of water and lots of oxygen will keep the fish from suffering when the algae uses up oxygen at night.

Reaction score
You may not want to invest in a UV light but you really should. Chemicals are bad for the pond and as you have seen don't work. Bite the bullet and enjoy a clear pond. When it clears up turn the light off. I couldn't be happier with the results that I got.

Ask a Question