Do goldfish poop THAT much??

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a pre-formed fiberglass pond of about 600 gallons. I have no space for a bog (really wish I did) so I use a large 96 gallon plastic trash can as my filter. It has lots of different filter media - from rigid filter squares, to bio-balls, to different size mesh openings of bridal veil material. It gets cleaned 2-3 times a year - whenever water flow is finally affected. I started with a small-sized filter like you have and quickly grew weary with constant cleaning. The key is finding the right balance between amount of fish and amount of filter capacity. Try to err on the side of fewer fish, more filter. Best of luck!

00315850.jpg
I think Relic has good input. The size of the filter is likely very important. If done correctly, increasing the size should reduce the frequency of cleaning.

In the pond I talked about my filter was very small. The two filter pads, stacked in tandem, were around 1ftx1ft in a very small skimmer. My pond was more than 30ft long and I could swim in it without touching the bottom, something I confirmed when one of my Labradors 6 week old puppies decided to be very brave. The filter was much too small for the pond. For the original owner of the property who installed it during his retirement years, this was not a problem. He had plenty of time to clean the pads and fuss with the pond daily. For someone who goes to work early and comes home late, it was much more of a challenge. Definitely oversize the filter or look at filtering methods that pre-filter without moving through a pad.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Yep constant dumping
awwww crap! MORE poop posts? Ifn I gets ya an acro for this, will ya lettit go???

MPP

There! As Taylor says; 'now see what you made me do'...

I gotta get a second job; this one is killin' me...sigh.

:sick:

smilie sword twirl.gif

Ask a Question