Do you know what this is?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
The ferret is part of the weasel family as are badgers if your interested whilst we view the otter as just a sea going one :LOL::ROFLMAO::D:):happy: arf arf

Dave

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Another clue, @minnowman Gary takes these tunnels, breaks them apart and mixes them up with a little water to plant his lilies in.
Really? So that's his secret! I'll have to remember that! Is there some special component that works as a secret ingredient?
The ferret is part of the weasel family as are badgers if your interested whilst we view the otter as just a sea going one :LOL::ROFLMAO::D:):happy: arf arf

Dave
yes, I figured my UK buddy would know about ferrets as they are probably more common as pets over there as they are here. I LOVE the slinky stinkies, though we don't currently have one :(
Yes, common in Texas.
Encountered my first ones living in Houston as an Air Force Brat when I was about 4 -- still recall catching them after a huge flood!

SOOOO, waiting for you guys to say "Uncle!"

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Meaning no disrespect Bullfrog. The pictured structures are definately not common to the entire state.
I'll see if I can find and post a distribution map. I always thought they were a "southern" thing, but was surprised to find out from this forum that they can be found in many parts of the country.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
OK, so here's another clue: distribution......

image.jpg

This is a USGS map for distribution of 2 different species....... That's not saying that "they" are common in all parts of a state, however.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Crawfish chimneys!

image.jpg

A crayfish burrow is a cone-shaped mound or "chimney" composed of mud pellets that mark the entrance to the burrow. Most burrows are located along the shoreline close to the water's edge. These burrows may range from a few inches to greater than 36 inches deep, and will be from 1/4 to 2 inches in diameter. Crayfish burrows may be dug straight down or at a slight angle. Burrows dug horizontally into a sloping bank often run straight for about a foot and then angle downward. Most burrows are capped with a compact plug of mud, and they may have more than one entrance hole. Male and female crayfish use the burrows as a refuge to escape from predators and as a resting place during molting and inactive periods. Female crayfish often use these burrows as a nursery for their young, particularly during periods of low water.

image.jpg

Crawfish, crayfish, crawdads, mudbugs.........

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
They don't list us on the map as having them but I just found this on the net that says they thrive in Lake Washington near Seattle and many other lakes and rivers here. I'll be looking for those castles they build now but since they are different then the ones found in other places around the continent maybe they don't build those mud homes here.

Crawfish thrive in Lake Washington
By Mark Yuasa

Seattle Times staff reporter

2003296816.jpg

Crawfish are a valued food commodity in Louisiana and clear across the Atlantic Ocean in Sweden.

But, what most people in the Pacific Northwest don't realize, is that a thriving wild and much larger species flourishes in the backyard of Seattle.

The bottoms of Lake Washington, and many other lakes and rivers in the state are filled with the tasty crustaceans.

Full report for those crawfish need to know peeps:
http://community.seattletimes.nwsource.com/archive/?date=20061010&slug=crawfish10

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BarkyDoos

Latest Threads