Do you know what this is?

Reaction score
Desoto, Texas (Dallas County) North Texas, Zone 8a
Showcase(s):
The proper southern name is crawfish. My late father-in-laws home in SW Louisiana was low so it retained water. That yard had many crawfish chimneys. As for Texas, crawfish are found in east and deep southern regions. Not found in any arid regions of Texas.

Most crawfish are now raised in commercial crawfish farms and off season rice farms in SW Louisana and lower southern Texas. Wild crawfish, meaning crawfish that inhabit shallow areas of swamps, lakes and some small rivers are highly prized. Wild crawfish left undisturbed grow bigger and are various colors. For instance, as a child my father would take me by boat up the Alabama river to our houseboat then travel by jeep to unmolested a lake deep in the forest. As if it were yesterday I remember him rowing our boat to an area were the shallow bottom near the shore was blanketed by very large 'blue' crawfish. What an amazing site! That was about 1963. Back to modern times. Wild crawfish are or were harvested from the Atchafalaya Basin in southern Louisiana. Those wild beauties bring a premium price. Such harvesting from the wild is highly regulated. In fact, it more no longer be allowed. My wife is a native of St. Landry Parish.

For more about the natural beauty and wonders of the Louisiana Atchafalaya Basin clink on this link.
http://www.atchafalaya.org/page.php?name=Atchafalaya-Basin

Last edited:

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Yep, around April - May - June in Louisiana it's crawfish season! We have a "Mudbug" festival in Shreveport, I think it's in May. Personally, not a fan of eating them, though.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I have a feeling I would love them cuz I am a seafood fanatic. I'm surprised I haven't seen them on any menu's around here.

Reaction score
Desoto, Texas (Dallas County) North Texas, Zone 8a
Showcase(s):
I have a feeling I would love them cuz I am a seafood fanatic. I'm surprised I haven't seen them on any menu's around here.

Fresh crawfish for boiling availability is seasonable. Live shipping is generally too expensive for seafood markets nationwide. JW, suggest you goggle for restaurants in your area serving crawfish, stores selling frozen crawfish tails, whole fresh crawfish and recipes. Be cautious when buying frozen crawfish tails because many are from China. Always look for phrase Product of USA. :cool:

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Will do Lou, thanks for the info :)
How come you don't eat them?
I can't speak for Lou, but I'm not a seafood person, and just the smell of them boiling makes me sick to my tummy! I have eaten them before, and they are best when fresh out of the cooker.
I don't eat them. Wife and daughter love them. Cathy says I cook a great crawfish étouffée. :)
Now I have eaten crawfish etouffee [how'd you get the accent marks......], and even helped prepare a dish once, and it was pretty good!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
WHAT??????????? You can't be allowed to live in Cajun cooking seafood Louisiana any longer TM w/ that on your resume :jawdrop:

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Really? So that's his secret! I'll have to remember that! Is there some special component that works as a secret ingredient?

Only thing he does is mix them with a paint stirrer on a drill wand adds just enough water to get the mud and water to a thick mix. mudbugs usually dig tunnels in fertile clay. Gary has about 20-50 tunnels in his yard at any given time, so before he cuts grass he gathers the tunnels for Lily planting media. I hope he doesn't mind me sharing his secret family recipe. LOL

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Well then that makes sense TM. I don't know what I'd do w/o seafood. Do you TM and do you Lou like Lobster and Crab? If not than forever hold your peace and I now pronounce you ex-southerners for life :LOL:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HeavyMetalPeach

Latest Threads