Does clear water = healthy water for koi?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Inherited pond and have no clue what I’m doing. I just keep adding bacteria cause at first the water was murky. Bacteria seems to be working for the clarity of the water. I can see the details in their scales. However, there’s a nice layer of hairlike grass on the bottom. I see the koi hanging around the pump waterfall- and because it’s been so hot- evaporation led me to leave the shower head gently running on the hose for them- and they’re loving it- but I’m concerned that might be a sign they don’t have enough oxygen. Lately- since the lillypads have almost taken over the 700 gal pond, they seem to be hiding underneath except for when I have the shower going for them. Then they seem to swim about happily. Are they getting high off the O2? any advice would be appreciated!❤️ Ps- the water seems tepid/cool to the touch. I don’t have a thermometer, but it’s def not hot. Also, I saw a tiny frog last night- and a tadpole as well as tiny spider like frog things floating on top of the water. These ok? Do I need to get rid of them? They’re too fast for my skimming net.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Inherited pond and have no clue what I’m doing. I just keep adding bacteria cause at first the water was murky. Bacteria seems to be working for the clarity of the water. I can see the details in their scales. However, there’s a nice layer of hairlike grass on the bottom. I see the koi hanging around the pump waterfall- and because it’s been so hot- evaporation led me to leave the shower head gently running on the hose for them- and they’re loving it- but I’m concerned that might be a sign they don’t have enough oxygen. Lately- since the lillypads have almost taken over the 700 gal pond, they seem to be hiding underneath except for when I have the shower going for them. Then they seem to swim about happily. Are they getting high off the O2? any advice would be appreciated!❤ Ps- the water seems tepid/cool to the touch. I don’t have a thermometer, but it’s def not hot. Also, I saw a tiny frog last night- and a tadpole as well as tiny spider like frog things floating on top of the water. These ok? Do I need to get rid of them? They’re too fast for my skimming net.
Oops- and I forgot to say, I’ve backwashed the pump a few times now- and pressure sprayed the filter.. is there a rhythm to follow for that? Thanks for any advice!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum!

Can you post pictures of you pond, give us size ie gallons and how many fish you have. What kind of filtration etc. That way we can help better.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1624391898212.gif
@Eltonsmom
If the lilies are covering the whole pond that could reduce oxygen also. Maybe only let them have half the pond space, just not all of it. Leave the natural bugs and critters as they are all just part of nature and most won't bother anything.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Healthy water is not necessarily clear and clear water is not necessarily healthy. If you want to know for sure what you have, they make inexpensive test kits. Those who keep koi test their water frequently.

What kind of filter do you have? Pressure washing it with tap water is a sure way to kill all the good bacteria doing their work. Most folks just gently rinse the filter pads off with pond water.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
A few things...

Is your home's water chlorinated? If so, you should be using a dechlorinator.

As @combatwombat has stated, don't pressure wash the filter and I'll add not to use chlorinated water to rinse it. If need be, rinse the filter pads in a bucket of pond water.
You don't want to kill all that beneficial bacteria that has colonized there.

Many of us feel adding store bought bacteria is just a waste of money. Nature will grow it's own.

The same goes for the pond itself. Don't empty and pressure wash that either. There's a bio film growing all over the liner that is an important part of the pond's filtration.

Any form of splashing that breaks the surface of the water can help with oxygenation. If your fish are gasping at the surface, that might be an indication of low oxygen.
Overpopulation (too much of a fish load) can cause oxygen level problems.

Plants are also an important part of the natural cycle. They help filter the water by removing excess nutrients caused by fish waste.

This one you might not like...
700 gallons is not enough water for even one koi. I don't know how many you have, how large they are or if there are other fish too.
It is suggested that the first koi requires 1,000 gallons and each additional 250-500.
Koi produce a lot of waste. If your filter is not up to the task, your water quality will suffer.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
KOI ARE river fish " carp"theres not one river in my area thats clear. doesn't mean its healthy or not . we humans love clear water but fish can live in the murkiest waters they thrive . how they find food is amazing to me. Crystal clear waters are generally lacking. and can't promoted many plants etc but in the same respect if the water is loaded with organics and minerals is probably less clear

Ask a Question