j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I bought it to scare off the Heron and just cuz I like the way it looks and didn't ever have any problem w/ raccoons before I got the gator so couldn't tell ya. Somehow I doubt they would be afraid of it tho. They wouldn't know what one was cuz we don't have them around here and maybe the same for the heron. But w/ the heron, they might not like it cuz it moves when the wind blows. I still like it tho even if it doesn't scare anything off!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
No clue if it is the reason, but I have gator heads and no raccoon issues. I have even seen raccoons up on our deck,but they leave the pond alone.

Reaction score
Have bought a few items from Fosters & Smith over the years, but for the majority of items I have needed, I was able to find it for less elsewhere. I would be too leary to buy fish without being able to see them first (too worried about most being "boring" to use your words), but regardless, some of them ARE really pretty, and it is good to know the fish were packaged well. I may try them at some point (eyeing their "black koi" but out of QT space for a bit).

Wasnt sure which way to take the wording about NDK. I have bought several fish from them, and have both pro and cons about them, BUT would still buy from them. One is to watch their pictures WELL. Some of the fish we have received have been VERY thin, but when I went back and looked at the pics, was sure it was the right fish, and just learned to look closer at the pics. The "thin fish" were fine, and gained weight quickly, but hey, it was the first time I ordered fish online. My bigger complaint was with the second order. $35 shipping no matter how many fish we bought... about THAT. Bought 7 fish ranging from 7" to 12"... all in one bag... sure it was double bagged, BUT the inner bag leaked, and they only had a couple of inches of water left in the inner bag. Lesson there, only purchase a few at a time, or they will be crammed into a single bag/box. We wont address the issue we had with the UPS guy, just suffice to say he was almost knocked out! (Hint: Box says live fish with arrows pointing up)

Another company that I like better (on ebay) is BKD... Not as educated as NDK (they often miscall the color/patterns of the fish they are selling), and charge shipping by the BOX. Same boxes as NDK, but they refuse to put as many in, and if you ask WHAT fits in a box, they will tell you upfront.

Reaction score
I've not not bought from an online company yet, as there are a few breeders here where we live. But I look at a couple of the ones you've all mentioned, the fish look nice.
It's interesting watching the small koi change so quickly. I got 4 koi for my b-day in June, a black one with white markings, a white ogon, that has since turned yellow, an black with orange markings, and a white tancho with an orange spot on the head, and black down it's back.
My big baby's are. An orange ogon matsuba ( about 9" long), a yellow butterfly matsuba ( about 11" long ), and two carni goldfish :)

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
jw, will the gator head scare off raccoons or just birds? I am tired of rearranging my pond plants every morning after they are done making a mess. Buckry, good luck with your fish!

Get one of those electric fences that they use for farms, and turn it on at night after a few shocks I don't think they would venture around it anymore. I found one not too long ago for a decent price, don't remember where now.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The electric fence is sure keeping the ground hog out of my veggie garden, has not eaten one tomato since I set it up.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
The electric fence sounds like a good idea. The raccoons here practically destroy the plants every night at our pond and I spend at least 10 minutes every morning making it look better. The only problem is i can't put it all the way around the pond. The aesthetic police that live in my house will have me shot!

Reaction score
If the pests get shocked a few times, they may not come back... may be worth the begging to try it for a few days...

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It is not that noticeable, The main thing you see are the isolators. It hurts if you run into it, like I just did picking a watermelon. They will probably learn real quick not to come back after a few shocks.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
She might be away for the day. She will see this and respond when she can I'm sure. Not sure if you want to put your email out there for the whole world to see but you already did so hoping you don't end up with Spam from H*LL :razz:
I know I'm sending you a bunch right now..................just kidding :LOL:

Ask a Question