Dying young koi... need help. flukes?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
update: Not good. the fish that has an ulcer on its side now has a small ulcer near its tail which I've just noticed. I've just put topical treatment on it, but now am wanting to see if theres anti bacterial stuff I can use.. what's your advise guys. it's not looking good.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
how big of a pond minimum would you say for 3 japanese koi?
The general rule is 1000 gallons for the first koi, then add 250-500 gallons for each additional fish. I would say you need a minimum of 2000 gallons, but more is always better.

update: Not good. the fish that has an ulcer on its side now has a small ulcer near its tail which I've just noticed. I've just put topical treatment on it, but now am wanting to see if theres anti bacterial stuff I can use.. what's your advise guys. it's not looking good.
Not what you want to hear, but IMHO, at this point I would consider euthanasia. At least the fish won’t be suffering.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
water test results today

ammonnia 0
nitrite 0
nitrate 3mg/l
ph went up from 8.5 to 8.8.. we did have rain
kh was 8 drops on the colombo test kit

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Sorry this is happening.

Are you sure there is nothing in the pond that can cause an injury?

As stated before, the infection could be internal and that is difficult to treat without injectable antibiotics. Even then it might not be successful.

If you can set up a hospital tank you could treat that water with a broad spectrum antibiotic, but don't put that medication in the pond. or you could use the topical medication you used before. Here is an article about antibiotics that can be used on fish:

But, as Mmathis said, it might be time to let this one go.

Reaction score
Country
United States
hello, my sons koi that we bought just a week ago has died. I noticed this mark on it. the other koi I've noticed now has it. how do I treat this problem?. thank you for all the help.
You never let your pond cycle properly. Have you contacted the place you bought the fish!?. They should have questioned you about the pond before selling you fish. All about the money.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
They should have questioned you about the pond before selling you fish.

I have never been questioned by anyone about my pond before we purchased fish, but you are correct... it would seem to make sense to find out where the fish are headed when you sell them.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thats asking salesman to tell the truth over profitts, hahahahaha lol rotfl rotflomao omg lol im crying belly hurts

Ask a Question