Evaporation in a small pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Pond is 13" x 4ft x 20" dp. 600 Gal. Water Temp 45Deg. Air Temp for the past 3 day's was 55 Deg. In two days the pond went down 1/2". Is this about right or do i have a leak? One waterfall running 24/7

Last edited:

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Do you see water or wet spots that might indicate water was being channeled?

What has your trend been so far since having this pond? Is this the first time you’ve noticed a decrease?

Chances are,you’re fine, but keep an eye on it. Monitor trends.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I am trying to raise the water level. So i added water until i found the lowest point in the pond. After the water leveled off i took photos of the water level on the stones. In two days the water dropped 1/2". I hoped it was only evaporation. Is that possible?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Check hose fittings to be sure there are no leaks. Ponds can easily lose 1/2 inch of water on windy and sunny days.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I am trying to raise the water level. So i added water until i found the lowest point in the pond. After the water leveled off i took photos of the water level on the stones. In two days the water dropped 1/2". I hoped it was only evaporation. Is that possible?
Yes, it’s possible, and a small pond will show it faster than a larger pond.

Not sure what you meant “I added water until I found the lowest point in the pond.”

Taking pics is a good way to keep up with it — it’s easy to compare them. Maybe note on your pics the date and weather conditions at the time.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I added water to see where the lowest part of the pond was. So I built up that area so I could rarai the pond depth. I took photos and in 3 days it droped 1/2".No overflow was found.

Reaction score
Country
United States
A 1/2 inch drop in three days would not concern me. Seems very normal. I get that with my ponds. Especially if it is windy.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Just an idea. Is there a way to keep the water level at the same level using some kind of device similer to the one used in a skimmer?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Reaction score
Do you have frogs? I thought I had a leak. Turned off the pump and added about 50 gallons. A couple days later the water level went down and added another 50 gallons. The water level has been stable last couple of days and there hasn’t been rain.

In the past week Its gotten warm and I noticed the frogs are more active. I thinks the frogs emerging from hibernation from the bottom of my pond, plus the activity of jumping in and out of the pond (splashing) has lead to the water level going down. The pond is covered with netting so a large animal is not responsible.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I thinks the frogs emerging from hibernation from the bottom of my pond, plus the activity of jumping in and out of the pond (splashing) has lead to the water level going down.

Frogs? Just how many frogs do you have? I don't think a few frogs jumping in and out of your pond would make much of a difference... unless we're talking about a very tiny pond.

Ask a Question