Water evaporation?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
Canada
What is considered "normal" water loss in a day in the summer? I have a new pond and want to make sure it's normal loss as opposed to a leak. I live on Vancouver Island.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
What is considered "normal" water loss in a day in the summer? I have a new pond and want to make sure it's normal loss as opposed to a leak. I live on Vancouver Island.
Hello and welcome!

There really is no “normal,” as every pond situation will be different. Maybe we can narrow it down for you if you can give us more information:
  • How big is your pond (gallons and dimensions, including depth)?
  • What kind of filtration system do you have and how is it plumbed?
  • Do you have a waterfall?
  • Do you have a lot of large rocks around the pond’s edge?
  • Is your pond is direct sunlight?
  • Do you have plants, and if so, how are they set up in or around your pond?
  • Are you finding any wet spots where water could be collecting outside the pond?
  • HOW MUCH WATER DO YOU THINK YOU ARE LOSING EACH DAY?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
Canada
If its empty in 1 week you got a leak
It''s not going down that fast. At the very most I'd say an inch in a day. I have a 6 ft waterfall with 4 ledges in it with about a 10ft stream leading up to it. Pond is 8x15 with 3ft depth. I did turn off the waterfall and the loss slowed down. I have checked for leaks and found none so far. We are also having an extreme forest fire season here. The smoke is awful. And we are at the highest drought level for our area. Just curious as to if this loss would be considered acceptable?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
Canada
Hello and welcome!

There really is no “normal,” as every pond situation will be different. Maybe we can narrow it down for you if you can give us more information:
  • How big is your pond (gallons and dimensions, including depth)?
  • What kind of filtration system do you have and how is it plumbed?
  • Do you have a waterfall?
  • Do you have a lot of large rocks around the pond’s edge?
  • Is your pond is direct sunlight?
  • Do you have plants, and if so, how are they set up in or around your pond?
  • Are you finding any wet spots where water could be collecting outside the pond?
  • HOW MUCH WATER DO YOU THINK YOU ARE LOSING EACH DAY?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
Canada
I have a 6 ft waterfall with 4 ledges in it with about a 10ft stream leading up to it. Pond is 8x15 with 3ft depth. I did turn off the waterfall and the loss slowed down. I have checked for leaks and found none so far. We are also having an extreme forest fire season here. The smoke is awful. And we are at the highest drought level for our area. Just curious as to if this loss would be considered acceptable? I have the Big Bahama pro series kit from Atlantic. The plumbing is underground but completely checked for leaks. Yes lots of rock around the edges. Completely in direct sunlight. Plants are all on the edges in pond water. I think at most it's 1 inch a day.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
It''s not going down that fast. At the very most I'd say an inch in a day. I have a 6 ft waterfall with 4 ledges in it with about a 10ft stream leading up to it. Pond is 8x15 with 3ft depth. I did turn off the waterfall and the loss slowed down. I have checked for leaks and found none so far. We are also having an extreme forest fire season here. The smoke is awful. And we are at the highest drought level for our area. Just curious as to if this loss would be considered acceptable?
It could be “normal” for your pond, and since your pond is new, you have nothing to compare. It sounds like you could be having some evaporation issues, with that enviably huge waterfall (well, I’m jealous, anyway), and the extra surface area of the stream, and splashing with the ledges. One thing they suggest is to turn off the waterfall and leave it off. Notice where the water level is when it’s off for a while. If there is a leak in the pond, the water will stop at the level of the leak. There are others on here who have more experience with this and may be able to give you more, better, different advice.

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
I must be lucky, i feel probably lose a inch per 2 weeks at most. I heard before on this forum that they're losing inches per day due to evaporation. I find that hard to believe based on my experience.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I must be lucky, i feel probably lose a inch per 2 weeks at most. I heard before on this forum that they're losing inches per day due to evaporation. I find that hard to believe based on my experience.
A lot can depend on where you live (climate) and the make up of your particular pond. Every pond is different. The OP has a tall waterfall with multiple ledges, as well as a stream. Rocks can also contribute to evaporation. I live in a hot but humid climate. I don’t have significant evaporation issues. I suspect that if I had the same air temps that I have, but way less humidity, I might have evaporation issues.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Welcome @codasajorusa ! Your pond sounds lovely! We'd love to see pictures!

And yes - that COULD be normal. But as @Mmathis said, every pond is different. How much waater surface, amount of splashing, number and size of plants, heat, and even cold all contribute to water loss from a pond. I will tell you this - almost EVERY new pond owner believes they have a leak. And most of them don't, so you can probably relax.

One thing you can check for is low edges, as those are a common source of water loss. Rocks can settle and push the liner down below the water line both in the pond and on the edge of the waterfall. I've also had plants breach the edge of the pond and push the liner down, allowing for a slow but steady loss of water. Check for damp spots along edges.

Good luck!

Reaction score
Country
United States
I think you are good to go especially given the hot, dry, windy weather and your pond being located in direct sunlight. One of my ponds is located on the windy side of the house and in direct sunlight & it loses about an inch per day so no worries. My heart goes out to you guys dealing with those awful fires. By the way, welcome to the forum!
Stephen

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
Canada
I think you are good to go especially given the hot, dry, windy weather and your pond being located in direct sunlight. One of my ponds is located on the windy side of the house and in direct sunlight & it loses about an inch per day so no worries. My heart goes out to you guys dealing with those awful fires. By the way, welcome to the forum!
Stephen
Thank you. I am starting to feel a bit relieved. The fires and smoke is awful. On some days we have had to hide in the house cause we can literally not see across the street. I want to sit and enjoy my pond now! Thx for the welcome!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
Canada
Welcome @codasajorusa ! Your pond sounds lovely! We'd love to see pictures!

And yes - that COULD be normal. But as @Mmathis said, every pond is different. How much waater surface, amount of splashing, number and size of plants, heat, and even cold all contribute to water loss from a pond. I will tell you this - almost EVERY new pond owner believes they have a leak. And most of them don't, so you can probably relax.

One thing you can check for is low edges, as those are a common source of water loss. Rocks can settle and push the liner down below the water line both in the pond and on the edge of the waterfall. I've also had plants breach the edge of the pond and push the liner down, allowing for a slow but steady loss of water. Check for damp spots along edges.

Good luck!
Thank you. I will post pics soon!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
Canada
Ok, so there is def some kind of problem. I filled to the water line at 3pm yesterday. By 11am today the water was down to the bottom of the skimmer. About 4inches. I have turned the pump off. So, I have been watching the water line. It is currently just above the bottom of the skimmer so over the face plate on the bottom. The water is not receding at this point. I have 2 thoughts. First to reseal the skimmer. Second, possibly a liner overlap has not worked and may need to redo it. Seem reasonable or any other thoughts? It's def NOT evaporation! I am guessing it wouldn't go down that fast if it is the skimmer. Seems to fast to me?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Can you post some pictures of your pond? We can perhaps help identify some areas you may want to check for low edges. Streams, waterfalls, heavy boulders, low edges - all more likely than a leak. And if it IS a leak, it's more likely plumbing than liner.

Ask a Question