Minimizing Evaporation - Seal / Waterproof Rocks?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi all,

I noticed that with my waterfall (and I'm sure this is pretty typical with waterfalls), water tends to splash on rocks / boulders and keeps the rock surface moist -- likely leading to quick evaporation. I think this would be even more pronounced on a hot day when the rock surface is hot. Since rock is porous, I was thinking I can greatly reduce water evaporation off the rock surface by sealing / waterproofing / plastic-coating the surfaces of the rocks.

Is this possible? If so, is there a fish-safe product any of you recommend?

Thanks!
Johnny

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
That sounds like a whole lot of work without any real measurable payoff. The water is still going to splash, the rocks are still going to get wet, the water on them will still evaporate. All you will save is the water which MIGHT be absorbed into the rock... and in my opinion (not a rock expert) a rock will only absorb so much water, so once they are wet, the absorption rate will decline or stop. (And that's if the rock absorbs water at all... I'm not even sure all rocks DO absorb water.)

So there's my opinion - it's free and worth every penny!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My splash rocks have a nice layer of moss on them. Looks great btw. I would not seal them, agree with above a lot of work minimal if any pay off.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I agree with the other comments (especially the part about the extra work involved), but you know, you're never going to know unless you try it.

I doubt that you'll be able to quantify the amount of evaporation, though, since evaporation is going to happen and no 2 days in the life of a pond will be the same. And I'm pretty sure that surfaces have to be clean before a sealant is applied, which means double sealing.

Ask a Question