Exposed liner above water level

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
UGH!!!!! About 4 inches, pretty much all the way around my pond. :(

Sore subject. Why didn't I find this site before I built it????

I haven't gotten around to trying to 'glue' soil on the exposed liner yet. Will advise if I ever get to it.

I have exposed liner. I cut segments of burlap and stuffed the peices under the rocks piled on the edge of the pond and let it hang down about a foot into the water. Once burlap gets soaked it will stay pretty much close to the liner and you wont see it flowing in the water whatsoever. After I soaked it real nice I got a paint scraper and scraped my back patio which had alot of moss growing on it. I put the moss in a bucket and mixed a quart of buttermilk in it. I mixed it all up up with a screwdriver and then painted it on the exposed burlap. The moss spores with take off and cover the burlap. I think it looks rather natural and nice. That was my exposed liner fix...

Reaction score
Exposed liner really detracts from the natural look of a pond. The simplest way to hid the liner is to make sure you have a small shelf below the water level for a row of rocks to sit on, then fold the liner up over those rocks and put another layer of rock over the fold.
If your pond is already built you'll have to drain it a bit to dig out the shelf.
The first picture is how many people's pond shorelines end up looking (liner showing).
The second picture is shows the rock shelf method of hiding the liner below the water level.
full

Reaction score
I have exposed liner. I cut segments of burlap and stuffed the peices under the rocks piled on the edge of the pond and let it hang down about a foot into the water. Once burlap gets soaked it will stay pretty much close to the liner and you wont see it flowing in the water whatsoever. After I soaked it real nice I got a paint scraper and scraped my back patio which had alot of moss growing on it. I put the moss in a bucket and mixed a quart of buttermilk in it. I mixed it all up up with a screwdriver and then painted it on the exposed burlap. The moss spores with take off and cover the burlap. I think it looks rather natural and nice. That was my exposed liner fix...

Good idea. Do you have a picture?

I bought Rock on a Roll, used it in one spot and it blended really well, I just haven't gotten around to installing any more.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Randy, our edge is built that way except our liner is behind the rock - where you pulled up and over, we folded down and tucked behind. Then we back filled behind the liner with dirt and the liner edge is concealed. In some places we put another rock behind the edge rock (a nice flat one works good to stand at the edge of the pond), in some areas we have plants. While my boys were in charge of the heavy pond work, the finishing touches around the edge were all me. I left as much extra liner as I possibly could... Just in case!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
My problem is I don't have enough pond liner all the way around to redo my koi pond edge. Maybe I will redo the part that I can, but the pic I posted was the bog edge, and can't do it there, because it's a wall of dirt, no width to redo it. :( Love the idea of the moss stuff on the burlap. I would love to see pics, too!

Reaction score
Country
United States
@CountryEscape I did the same as you with my pond. Too much liner showing and didnt leave enough to fix it.

Yours looks okay with the algae growing on it. You could also try planting some creeping jenny in that area. It will grow and hang over the side of the liner and right into the water.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Yep, I have CJ along the outside of my pond, but that has dirt. Does the CJ actually grow in the water, like in the bog area, that has 2-4" of water above the pea gravel? Maybe I could rake up some of the pea gravel to the edge, and grow it in that. It doesn't actually seem to grow that well IN the pond, but does trail over the edge into the water. :)

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My jenny grows great in the bog, even in water levels of around 2 inches. Grows in the stream, rooting in the small rocks a tiny bit of collected dirt, grows on the side of the pond out floating into the water. The jenny is anchored in the rocks with what ever dirt has accumulated around them. It seems as long as the roots are wet it grows. I even pulled some out of the pond that was just floating around, growing.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have used ror for some areas that were hard to do anything with, it works well.

Ask a Question