Three dimension faux finish for exposed liner

Reaction score
Desoto, Texas (Dallas County) North Texas, Zone 8a
Showcase(s):
With plenty of free time on my hands I hope to create a DIY method for pond owners to apply a realistic three dimension faux finish for use on above water exposed EDPM liner. The premise is based upon a natural pond look. For example, a faux realistic dirt ledge or bank. Please note that my creations will be made using readily availbe retail products. This will most likely be a long project given the many factors to consider. More details will be shared when possible.

I invite you to help by giving me ideas. At this initial stage any idea is a good idea. Thank you.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Sounds great! Are you thinking along the lines of paint or construction?

I'm in the early stages of disguising a 4" PVC conduit that will carry water from turtle bog to pond. The pipe will be on either side of a fence. I was thinking about using Great Stuff and Rock On A Roll to make it look like a small cave with water coming out. On the "turtle" side of the fence, though, I can't decide between a faux rock look or a faux wood (as in making it look like a fallen tree trunk) look.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
A wide variety of materials may be used so both construction and paint. Have no plans to use 'rock on a roll'. Lots of testing will determine what can be used. The primary goal is for the faux finish to look realistic regardless of viewing distance.

Best of luck on your PVC project. Sounds exciting.

Reaction score
I'd like to see a roll of EPDM, maybe 15' long ( different lengths ) coated with something realistic ( short pond grass that catches algae evenly / moss rock? ) that doesn't look cheesy.

The problem has always been Father Time....... Fading.

Reaction score
My rock on a roll is still rolled up on my patio. I think it would be okay under a waterfall, where it would get covered with algae over time, but I cant see it being used for large areas that I have to cover.

Right now I have just corralled a bunch of floating plants in front of the exposed liner, that works best for me. I have also tried Sissy's sock, but need to spend more time positioning it right and using the right plants for it.

Please tag me in your results! I'm desperate for some help too!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Well I'm wondering if you couldn't simplify it. Like just use the insulation and then grout over that? I'm not sure what the burlap is for, but the insulation, grout, and chicken wire would seem to be pretty easy.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I would think that your greatest hurdle would be finding a lasting adhesive that would not compromise the integrity of the EPDM liner. I am assuming you are referring to EPDM.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
You are a real undertaker of a neat idea Lou. Lots have made their ponds where the liner shows just below the top rock edge. A simple ledge/step around just below would have remedied this but for those who don't want to go to extremes to change what they have already done or just don't want that rock ledge this would be a cool idea. Wonder if one could take some kind of plastic deer fencing and somehow attach various different things such as driftwood, faux rocks, plants that attach themselves in between etc. and hold the fencing down w/ the rocks around the edge kind of like one long continuous strip of a sissy sock thing w/o the sock part.....................oh my mind is wandering off into the too complicated zones perhaps?

Ask a Question