Filtration Question

Reaction score
Country
United States
New to the forum and I appreciate any & all advice.

We inherited a pond with a home we bought 4 years ago. Built approximately14 years ago it is 1200 gallons, has a plant shelf around the entire perimeter and a depth of 3 feet. I understand there are issues with plant shelves, but this one has flagstone on it that overhangs the "bank" by 5-6 inches providing the fish a hiding place. It has not been upgraded from its original Aquascapes BioFalls and skimmer although I did replace the pump with a Aquasurge 3000 pump 3 years ago. The previous homeowner planted Leyland Cypress and Pine tress next to the pond (now 30 feet tall) that constantly shed into it. The needles get caught up in the skimmer net (a pain to get out) and sink to the bottom of the pond. I can not keep the darn thing clean.

I've done a lot of research into solving this problem and considering replacing the old skimmer with a Savio model that has a basket instead of a net and easy to reach filters (I'm 61 and don't bend as well as I once did) and not under the pump. I'm thinking of adding a bottom drain to a Aquascapes Hydro Vortex Filter. I only have 3 medium sized koi in the pond and do not intend to have more than 5. My quesation is, if I decide to upgrade my waterfall do I still need a unit with filteration like I have now, or will the bottom drain and external filter be sufficient. Or should I just leave it the way it is and buy a pond vacuum? Which would be A LOT less expensive!

Attachments

• Koi pond.JPG
    Koi pond.JPG
    280.7 KB · Views: 471

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
The level of filtration required for a pond is directly determined by total potential fish load. Changing your waterfall configuration has no impact on filtration requirements.
Sadly, there is not a skimmer available that will adequately handle conifer needles. If it was me, I would remove both trees and replant with something a little more pond-friendly.
Exactly what filter do you have? Hydro vortex is a Russell Technology filter. Aquascape does not make a Hydro vortex.

Smaug

God makes perfect. I just dug the hole
Reaction score
Country
United States
If your like the pond remove the trees. If you like the trees remove the pond. With pine needles it's never gonna be ideal.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I have a Savio skimmer, but agree with @Meyer Jordan , doubt it could keep up with a couple conifers. I have a large cedar tree over my pond, which is why I use a fine mesh net during the winter. In the summer, I just use a pool net.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I have a pond surrounded by fir trees. I have bottom drains and a savio skimmer. I have no problems with needles.
I have sieves after the skimmer and bottom drains.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Any leaf drop is a problem. Some conifers are worse than others because of leaf shape.
conifers types of needles.gif

The needle-like being the most troublesome. Even then the level of the problem will also depend on specie with the needle length determining difficulty in skimming.
pine needles.gif

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
How about 30 over 150 feet tall.

You are fortunate as I have seen many ponds here is the Southeast that experience this particular foliage drop issue. All of these ponds have skimmers but no bottom drains. I can not, however, see how a bottom drain would be of any real additional benefit in this case.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I didn't mention the ash that's about 50' feet tall and 30 feet from the pond.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
My neighbor has some tall pines , with high winds I get the needles.
My skimmer keeps up with them with a little help on the heavy days

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks to all for the replys and ideas. Removing the tress isn't an option and we enjoy the pond. Guess I'll just hope adding the bottom drain helps remove those that fall to the bottom and live with netting some before they get to the skimmer. One correction, the filter I'm considering is a Aquascaped Ultra Clean pressurized filter not the Russell product. I recently watched a video showing the Helix Skimmer doing a pretty good job catching needles. Anyone have an experience with one of those?

One other question. Will I need to keep the filters in the biofalls once I add the pressurized filter? Remember I only have 3 Koi and plan to have no more than 5. I do have bio balls in the biofalls.

Ask a Question