First koi breeding is very strange

Reaction score
Country
United States
I built a koi mud bottom pond that is spring fed and stocked it with abbreeding. early last year. I am seeing about 15 to 20 small fish that were not stocked. They range in size from 1 to 3 inches. I assume they are the first fish bred in the pond but...

They are all the same army green color and I did not stock any green fish. There are no other fish species in the pond. They look like small koi but the size range indicates there must have been three breedings.

Any thoughts on what s going on?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome! Sorry, no idea. If you could catch some, examine them to see if they have whiskers. Also, sometimes fish eggs can be attached to plants, and/or baby fish transported via birds. If it’s spring-fed, maybe you are getting other fish in by that route.

How many koi did you originally stock? Where do you live?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
When I keep koi and gold fish together I had many of what you call "hybrids" and they were army green color. I wonder if it's possible some eggs of native fish entered your pond through the natural spring?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Army green or there abouts and tan are the normal color of koi/ carp... the colors we all love are mutants. they are the birth marks the albinos etc.
Half the babies are boring as all get out while every few will i get a interesting color pattern

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Agree with @GBBUDD - what you're seeing are probably the ones that would get culled in a breeding facility for being their normal color!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1653235194363.gif
and welcome @Abner

Reaction score
Country
United States
I live in western Pennsylvania. I stocked about 30 from local shops. Five or so were lost to herons but I added a net. What do the wiskers tell you.

The pond is 5 years old and I had trout in there for a while. Trout are all gone. I put some minnows in and there are alot of them in their now

Is it possible koi can cross breed with a minnow?

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Goldfish yes, minnows no. Since your pond is spring fed, it's possible eggs from the local waterway have gotten into your pond. You just need to be sure that no goldfish or koi eggs end up in the local waterways

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks for the info on the kulls but that generates more questions.

I spent all day trying to figure out what I have. I have about three dozen fish I didn't stock. Only two those have koi like coloring and markings. They are identical twins about 1.5 inches long.

Is it normal to have that low of a ratio of colored fish?

The larger green fish may be getting some color. If the sun is just right it looks like is turning bronze with no markings. Another large one may be turning red on the front half of its body.

Second question-how long does it for a koi to get its color. I would hate to kull a fish that c would be a beauty in 6 months.

Last question- can a colorless or army green koi have well colored offspring. Should all pf the kulls really be removed from the pond?

Thanks for your help

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
What one does with ones fish entirely depends on what ones goal is [lots of “ones” in there, and I’m sure something was supposed to have an apostrophe….]. IOW, we choose to keep what we like and get rid of, or cull, what we don’t like; and beauty is in the eye of the beholder! Man has manipulated koi and goldfish over time, breeding for certain colors, color combinations, fin shapes, etc. None of these “pretty” fish has come about naturally. Mother Nature culls the majority of the offspring. Carp will lay LOTS of eggs, so this is necessary for population control.

I think you are going to get random colors with your fish, and some of these will be throw-back colors. The ones that survive will pass on their traits. Hybrids don’t reproduce, so you won’t have generations of them, but you will continue to have them as long as the carp species in your pond breed with each other.

As with most of pond keeping: there is rarely a right or wrong way, just a different way, and that will depend on your personal preference. Selective culling comes with experience, so I doubt that anyone will be able to tell you what to look for (well, other than obvious deformities). Most of us just let Mother Nature do it for us. Start out with fish that you like and enjoy.

Almost forgot to add this pic. “Whiskers“ or barbels are found on koi. Also, note the difference in body shape between koi and goldfish.

72AE1A44-124C-423A-ABA1-58436CB73321.jpeg

Ask a Question