When and where to order bog and pond plants

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
Country
United States
For those who remember, I started a pond in July, injured my knee in August, had knee surgery in November and am now almost back to normal. My pond is a hole in the ground full of water and algae and I plan to start working on it again after the Holidays. I live in Huntsville, AL so our winter weather usually includes nice warm spells. I hope to have the pond liner in and full of water sometime in January and the bog filled with gravel in early February.

So I am thinking of ordering plants in January and putting them in a stock tank until I can get the pond and bog ready for them. The pond is roughly 8x11x2 with a bog of about 10x3x1.5.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Dan

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Glad to hear that you're recovering well @MajorDan.

Ordering on-line, I liked the Pond Mega Store. The items I received from them were healthy. I didn't like the stuff I got from William Tricker very well, most of it was tiny or dead. The plants I got locally (Chattanooga) at the Water Garden were excellent, but they don't sell on-line, and have recently moved their store. I'm not sure what their fish and plant selection will be like in the future.

As far as ordering in January....some places that might be open to ordering at that time still aren't going to ship until the weather in your zone is totally safe. Unless specimens are super hard to find, I don't see much benefit to trying to gather them before the pond and bog are ready. But that's just me.

Can't wait to see the results once you're back to work on that pond!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
Country
United States
Thanks SF,
My wife is big into gardening, flowers, shrubs etc and is pushing me to order before everything is sold out. I really am not even sure what to order but she is getting dozens of catalogs and planning this years yard so thinks I need to be ordering too.
I think I will wait a bit and will study the pond mega store.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I won't be of any help. I got most of my pond plants from local garden centers during the growing season. I also grew some bog plants from seed rather than buying them as a plant.

Unless specimens are super hard to find, I don't see much benefit to trying to gather them before the pond and bog are ready.​

I'd agree.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I'm with those who encourage you to wait and shop local nurseries and pond stores if you have the option. They will be selling them when they're ready to go in the pond. I've never had trouble finding pond or bog plants well into the summer and even fall at a well-stocked nursery. That way you can see the condition and quality of what you're buying.

If there's something in particular you're looking for, talk to the folks at your local places and see if they will hold things for you or call you when they arrive. Since you're just starting out, you'll want mostly plants that are tried and true in the pond - they shouldn't be hard to find.

Are you looking for suggestions on what to buy?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
Country
United States
Definitely need suggestions. My bog is in two sections separated by the waterfall. I would like some tall plants at back and around waterfall and low overhanging plants in front that would spill over edge into pond. One water Lilly that has small pads, color of flowers not important. Some grass like plants for one shallow section of pond bottom.
Thanks

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Hope your knee is doing well @MajorDan , I also ordered some plants from pond mega store as getting them near me is not easy. I also get plants from the local wildlife park in the spring, it's a great way to get some of the native plants not sold locally, they do this to make money to help maintain the park. Maybe look up state parks near you and see if they do a plant drive.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The low hanging plants, creeping Jenny, blue water forget me not, bog bean, water willow (12 inch tall). I am sure there are others, these are ones that I have.

Tall plants obedient plant, lizard tail, yellow flag iris, other irises, various rushes and grasses.

Ask a Question