First time pond clean

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The top of the pot is just above the water level :) I shall leave it until the flowers die off. The water is looking clearer today. I can see the first shelf and not just dirty water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The pond water is clearing up nicely. I have noticed however that their has been a drop in the water level. I cant say how much. I'd have to top up at weekend to a level and see if it drops below. Now I pulled the liner up on the falls and its wet underneath on the flag which is the base of the falls. Could this be a leak or just the condensation. The liner I used is like what a tent ground sheet is made of? I googled it and it said with waterfalls it increases evaporation due to splashing and being able to evaporate. Temperatures have been about 6 Celsius but it has been sunny in the day. Sunny but windy and cold

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Only in the uk have I ever heard some complain about hearing a waterfall.
My wife did take a while to get use to tge waterfalll I had on a planted tank IN MY LIVINGROOM she had to peee all the time it was something at times she would go come back hear it a cry out I have to pee again. O. K

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Now I pulled the liner up on the falls and its wet underneath on the flag which is the base of the falls. Could this be a leak or just the condensation. The liner I used is like what a tent ground sheet is made of?
I would vote leak, the tent ground sheet most likely did not last. or tore a bit

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Was the same material used for the entire pond? I did some research and tent ground sheet is the same material as a standard tarp. Nowhere near the material of pond liner, especially under rocks.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The stuff I used had a 40 year guarantee. So I thought it was good stuff. The pond liner is more rubber I'd say or a very thick plastic. It's no big deal if I have to reline the falls now it is all set up. What is the best stuff to use?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210408-134912_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20210408-134912_eBay.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 34
  • Screenshot_20210408-134845_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20210408-134845_eBay.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 32
Reaction score
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I will see what they have at local garden centre as I want to get some plants and pots. If its leaking its minimal and should be fine. It's not a massive job to change it just on the falls

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Most prefer 45mil. EPDM. second choice would be HDRPE. What you have is HDPE it's missing the "R" which indicates that it's reinforced. HDRPE has visible reinforcement threads embedded in it.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Would this be better? Also now the water is clearing up you can see some silt and sand and dirt on the liner. Is this normal or should I have scrubbed it clean?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210408-162200_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210408-162200_Chrome.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 32

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Would this be better? Also now the water is clearing up you can see some silt and sand and dirt on the liner. Is this normal or should I have scrubbed it clean?
That is PVC, not a good choice. I believe we had someone use it to build their pond. Didn't last too long. Your liner keeps the water in your pond so that makes it the most important part of a pond. That's the one think you should never cut corners on. Shop around on line, you will probably find better prices.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
go with EPDM or HDRPE and you won't worry. When you re-line, make sure you're creating a concavity all around your waterfall. You want a bowl, something to catch any water that doesn't go where you originally told it to go. Saves a lot headaches later. And your waterfall liner should be overlapping your pond by at least 6" to prevent wicking upwards. If you have extra liner from the pond, I'd make sure it fits up and under the waterfall one.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Good advice from @brokensword - I was a little worried when you said it would be easy to replace the waterfall liner. Best case scenario is always a single liner; next best is a good amount of overlap/underlap. In other words the pond liner should come up as far as possible UNDER the waterfall liner and the waterfall liner should come down as far as possible OVER the pond liner. Water will wick upwards - you want to avoid the potential for waterless between the liners.

Ask a Question