First pond clean help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I inherited a wildlife pond when I moved into this house. After research and hard work I have tidied the pond up. Created a rockery and a waterfall. I have got power down to the pond. The filter and pipework is installed. I have ordered the pump and next week I am going to start cleaning the pond

My plan was to set up a paddling pool. I reckon I would get 50% of the pond water in the paddling pool we have. Move the frogs and tadpoles into there and the plants. Next step is to empty half of the remaining half. My question is what do I clean? I dont plan on scrubbing anything. Also how much sludge should I remove

After the clean I plan on putting the paddling pool water back in. So the pond has had a 25% water change. The water is quite brown. Should I do a 50%? Then top the pond back up. Dechlorinate. Turn the pump and filter on and cover with a net. Does that sound ok? I have an aquarium inside but this is a kind of next bigger step. I will order a pond test kit for the water and this may sound silly but how can I test it when its brown. I'm guessing the filter will clear the water up. I'm also unsure when to add the fish. So many questions!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
My plan was to set up a paddling pool. I reckon I would get 50% of the pond water in the paddling pool we have. Move the frogs and tadpoles into there and the plants. Next step is to empty half of the remaining half. My question is what do I clean? I dont plan on scrubbing anything. Also how much sludge should I remove

I'd get out all I could; you've got your inhabitants safely outside. Don't scrub, as you said, just net out the muck.

After the clean I plan on putting the paddling pool water back in. So the pond has had a 25% water change.

I'd go slow with this so everyone gets used to the new parameters. Trickle or 20%, wait a few days, fill up some more.

The water is quite brown. Should I do a 50%?

No, imo, not necessary. Whatever is left in your water column should filter out with time. Especially if you have a bog!

Then top the pond back up. Dechlorinate.

Dechlor as you go, not after. You're adding too much water and some of your wildlife might be adversely affected.

Turn the pump and filter on and cover with a net. Does that sound ok?

Yep.

I have an aquarium inside but this is a kind of next bigger step. I will order a pond test kit for the water and this may sound silly but how can I test it when its brown. I'm guessing the filter will clear the water up. I'm also unsure when to add the fish. So many questions!

I don't test, so others may have to weigh in but especially once your water is debris free, you can get good readings. I don't think cloudy water has any worse effect on most of your tests, but am unsure exactly. Go slow with the refill. Also, make sure the temp of the added water is less than 5 deg F difference than your old pond water. If you have to, let the added water sit and acclimatize to match your saved water. Trickle change will help with this, if you go this way.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you everyone. I'm dreading cleaning the sludge on the bottom. More than likely that where the frogs are. How much of this sludge should I clean? Also could I add fish say start of November. Air temperature is getting chilly now. Like 6 or 5C during the night. Peaks at about 12C in the day. Or should I just let the pond run for a few months and try to cycle by adding ammonia and add fish in March or April when its warmed up?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I'm dreading cleaning the sludge on the bottom. More than likely that where the frogs are.
If your frogs winter there why don't you wait until spring to clean some of the sludge out of the pond? This time of the year I do my best to not bother the ponds bottoms. I have a ton of frogs that over winter and tads and who knows what else.

How deep is the sludge?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Wait till spring! When the water is warm enough for your hands to not hurt, frogs are singing but no frog spawn, that’s when I’d work on it. And you can set up the pump outlet to flow over quilt batting, pure polyester fibers, to get the particles out of the water, so it will clear up. Then move water, lifeforms, etc over, and then net up any sludge you can.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What's quilt batting? My filter has uv, sponge and bioballs. I dont know how deep anything is as it's the first pond clean I've ever done. Also in February last year it was full of frogs mating. I'd rather disturb them now and if frogs are in the sludge I would leave it and not move it. Also I'm moving the water into a paddling pool slowly so any tadpoles will end up in there temporarily. As people have said I will top water up slowly over a period of say a week. Itll be as cold now as it would in March

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You know your area better than we do. Go for it!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I feel if I see frogs I wont do it. I have seen tadpoles but as i said they're being moved then put back in. The last thing I want to do is kill anything. I just dont know how crazy to go with the cleaning. Their are small pea gravel stones in on the shelves. Should I take them out or leave them? Also can i add fish this time of year or should I cycle the pond with ammonia over winter?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When should I add fish once it is all cleaned out? I plan on leaving it for a week letting the filter clear up the water then I wanted to add fish. If I get it done start of next week then itll be the start of November. Is that too late to be adding fish? Do I have to cycle the pond first. I only planned on adding two goldfish to start with

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This also may seem daft but my pump and filter will both be wired into the same fused spur. Will the uv on the filter be ok being on without water running through. It will only be for a split second until the pump pumps the water up to the filter

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Is your filter with the uv a canister filter? How cold does your weather get? UV and canister filters will freeze and should be brought in if temps get below freezing.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
When should I add fish once it is all cleaned out? I plan on leaving it for a week letting the filter clear up the water then I wanted to add fish. If I get it done start of next week then itll be the start of November. Is that too late to be adding fish? Do I have to cycle the pond first. I only planned on adding two goldfish to start with
if you're right on the border of winter temps, I'd wait until next spring, but you CAN add now; just make sure the water temp the fish are coming from is within 5 deg F of the pond water (and ACCLIMATIZE them thoroughly). When the temps go down, the fish will want to slow and go dormant, right along with the bacteria (which is the heart of your cycling). Still, as long as the temps are the same, two small fish should be fine, especially if they're goldfish. You won't get much of a cycle going this year, anyhow and another would have started next spring. Unless you're in a hurry and know you can spend any appreciable time around your pond for this season, might think about adding next spring, after the water temps are over 50 deg F. That said, fish are always more susceptible to diseases/pests upon coming out of winter.

Ask a Question