taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
crsublette said:
Quite lovely Dianne and neat idea !!

You could also do something, such as below, to cover some pond area while the lilies are dormant. :)
I like those plastic things they plant them in, wonder where you can get them?

Reaction score
I use the crushed coral for (1) looks and (2) buffering. I try to keep a whole bunch of it as a 'beach' at the high water mark for when we have heavy rains. It worked really well to stick to the damp expanding foam as it was setting up. The expanding foam, 'great stuff' is the essentially the same thing as waterfall foam, just not black.
I can find no evidence that impatiens roots are bad for fish, and my fish; few that they are have no signs of unknown death.
Oh, and Cape? I'm so glad to see you back, was getting worried about you up yonder in blizzard country.

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
taherrmann4 said:
I like those plastic things they plant them in, wonder where you can get them?
From what I could find, they were made specifically for that business over there. :(

Reaction score
gardengimp said:
It worked really well to stick to the damp expanding foam as it was setting up. The expanding foam, 'great stuff' is the essentially the same thing as waterfall foam, just not black.
Is it safe to assume nontoxic?
gardengimp said:
I can find no evidence that impatiens roots are bad for fish, and my fish; few that they are have no signs of unknown death.
The first thought I had was "ohhh the poor pump" LOL... The same thing used as a pot here, is what hubby has as an end on the pump intake ... No prefilter in place yet, and my gawd were all those water hyacinth roots a pain LOL.
gardengimp said:
Oh, and Cape? I'm so glad to see you back, was getting worried about you up yonder in blizzard country.
It really wasnt as bad as the media made it look. The snow came, and the wind blew ... 80% of our town was without power for a couple of days, but we only lost it twice for an hour each time. Of course if we had no fuel for the generator, it would have been out...
Here's a few snap shots... the first is looking out the window down at the ponds (where they meet)... The second picture shows most of the bog... The storm pics are all during Nemo, while the "driving ban" was in effect (we were out on an emergency call)... Last 2 pics are our silly dog DeeDee (Mastiff) standing in the snow...

Attachments

• DSCN5979.JPG
    DSCN5979.JPG
    27.2 KB · Views: 377
  • DSCN5981.JPG
    DSCN5981.JPG
    76.8 KB · Views: 351
  • DSCN5985.JPG
    DSCN5985.JPG
    31.3 KB · Views: 360
  • DSCN5992.JPG
    DSCN5992.JPG
    62.5 KB · Views: 343
  • DSCN5997.JPG
    DSCN5997.JPG
    28.5 KB · Views: 361
  • DSCN5998.JPG
    DSCN5998.JPG
    25 KB · Views: 374
  • DSCN5999.JPG
    DSCN5999.JPG
    45.5 KB · Views: 369
  • DSCN5977.JPG
    DSCN5977.JPG
    62.3 KB · Views: 384
Reaction score
Yeah, the great stuff is non-toxic. If you read the whatcha-ma-callit sheet, it has all the non-toxic stuff in it. Not that I personally would be putting it in the pond before it dried and set up; but I've read of folks who have. The crushed coral is used a lot in salt water aquariums, so it is non toxic also. Down here, you could go to the beach and get it. Inland, its cheaper to buy it when you find it at a good price (rather than making a gas special drive to the beach). Don't remember exactly where I got this big, but it was on sale or open bag discount. I looked today at Petsmart and they have it for $12 a bag. Watch the prices though because I have seen it jacked up in some places for close to $30 a bag.
And Cape, that looks like some nasty stuff. Surprisingly, your dog looks happy in it all!

Reaction score
It was just the blow foam I was questioning... I may still have some laying around the house...
I am familar with crushed coral... Used to have marine/reef tanks... Our outside pond's PH doesnt vary much. Normal is about 7.4-7.6, and if we get substancial rain, it may dip a couple tenths, but it back up within a few days. To use coral outside would cost a fortune. I THINK with the old marine tanks (went upside down with Hurricane Bob, 1991), to keep the PH at 8 we used something like 1 lb of crushed coral for each gallon or two of water... om roughly 9000 gallons outside, that would add up fast LOL...
Dee wasnt too happy with the snow... it doesnt normally touch her belly LOL... Those were the looks asking if she REALLY had to go out to potty LOL

Ask a Question