Frogbit

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
Sorry, but I always chuckle when I see a pond plant that is supposed to have its leaves stay dry. I mean, really? How does that even work? What about when it rains?

Anyway, your pond is still very new, so that's going to make it a bit more of a struggle for plants to get going well. You simply aren't going to have the nutrient load for them to feed off of as you will after the pond's a few years old. Is it in an area where the roots can anchor to a bit of gravel? That might help, but if it is totally free floating, then it's got to depend 100% on the water & that could cause it not to flourish at first. (please note, I'm talking in generalizations here, I've no personal experience with frogbit, so I might be way off base)
This makes a lot of sense...especially since I am seeing that most of my plants are not keeping their deep green color...could definitely be lack of nutrient load...I am still thinking it could also be that the pond is not getting as much light as it did a month ago...

TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
So I will look for a test kit for Nitrate if you think that could be an issue....
Nitrates are basically the fully processed form of organic material, and that is what plants uptake to grow and stay healthy, so if there isn’t enough of it they can suffer.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
Nitrite should always be zero, what we are looking for is Nitrate.
I do have test strips that I don't usually use but they do have a Nitrate test patch that says that Nitrates are good....
Nitrates are basically the fully processed form of organic material, and that is what plants uptake to grow and stay healthy, so if there isn’t enough of it they can suffer.
Okay so I just read this from you and the absence of Nitrates might be the problem. The test strip shows zero (or no color) Is there anything I can do to increase the nitrate level? Or does the pond just need more time to season?

TheFishGuy

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
I do have test strips that I don't usually use but they do have a Nitrate test patch that says that Nitrates are good....

Okay so I just read this from you and the absence of Nitrates might be the problem. The test strip shows zero (or no color) Is there anything I can do to increase the nitrate level? Or does the pond just need more time to season?
That would be my guess as to what is going on! When Nitrates show zero I simply overfeed for a bit and that usually fixes the issue. I wouldn't go crazy, but just a bit more than you usually do.

Doctor mcboy

hes dead jim
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Sorry, but I always chuckle when I see a pond plant that is supposed to have its leaves stay dry. I mean, really? How does that even work? What about when it rains?

Anyway, your pond is still very new, so that's going to make it a bit more of a struggle for plants to get going well. You simply aren't going to have the nutrient load for them to feed off of as you will after the pond's a few years old. Is it in an area where the roots can anchor to a bit of gravel? That might help, but if it is totally free floating, then it's got to depend 100% on the water & that could cause it not to flourish at first. (please note, I'm talking in generalizations here, I've no personal experience with frogbit, so I might be way off base)
it is taking about the leaves staying wet. lotus leaves will die if planted near enough a waterfall for the leaves to stay wet.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
That would be my guess as to what is going on! When Nitrates show zero I simply overfeed for a bit and that usually fixes the issue. I wouldn't go crazy, but just a bit more than you usually do.
well that will be an easy fix! Thank you! I just noticed that the teeny tadpoles ( the size of half a pepper corn) have hatched and now I have a gazzilion tadpoles! I can’t believe my fish won’t eat them! Hope they will ad to the nutrient load!

TheFishGuy

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
well that will be an easy fix! Thank you! I just noticed that the teeny tadpoles ( the size of half a pepper corn) have hatched and now I have a gazzilion tadpoles! I can’t believe my fish won’t eat them! Hope they will ad to the nutrient load!
Very cool!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Wow your fish won't eat them? Mine sure do and I was so mad at them one year. They eat the eggs also. You must have well fed fish perhaps?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
Wow your fish won't eat them? Mine sure do and I was so mad at them one year. They eat the eggs also. You must have well fed fish perhaps?
Could be toadpoles j.w. and if they are fish spit them out because they are poisonous...I put a few in an aquarium so that I can observe them as they grow. Time will tell whether they are toads or frogs....

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Could be toadpoles j.w. and if they are fish spit them out because they are poisonous...I put a few in an aquarium so that I can observe them as they grow. Time will tell whether they are toads or frogs....
Ah then that might make a dif like say regarding not tasting good! Will be neat to see them grow into?

Ask a Question