Frogbit

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
I have searched this forum but can't seem to come up with anything that can tell me why my frogbit has some leaves turning yellow and some even white...We have had extreme wind for quite awhile but I wouldn't think that could cause it...I have tested my water with my API pond master kit and all seems well (PH 7.5, Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Phosphate .25ppm, KH 4) ... My pond is about 900 gallons with seven adult shubunkins and about 20 fry and a ton of teeny tiny tadpoles ...It is under a live oak so it gets mottled sun throughout the day...Any ideas?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I know you are in Florida - but could it be springtime temperature changes? I don't know if you have experienced the swings from hot to chilly the way we have, but my frog bit is doing the same thing and I think it is typical for this time of year. Have y'all had any weird cold snaps?

TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
I never had any success with frogbit, could it be a lack of avalible nutrients? ( nitrates )

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
I know you are in Florida - but could it be springtime temperature changes? I don't know if you have experienced the swings from hot to chilly the way we have, but my frog bit is doing the same thing and I think it is typical for this time of year. Have y'all h.just strong winds...
could be...hope that's all it is....

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
I never had any success with frogbit, could it be a lack of avalible nutrients? ( nitrates )
Maybe I have too many plants inhaling the nutrients? I certainly have enough fish in there....I had string algae a couple of weeks ago but it all disappeared...Actually now I am noticing that many of my plants seem lighter in color....The sun is higher in the sky which is causing more shade since the pond is under a live oak....Maybe that could be the cause???

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I BELIEVE FROG BIT DOES NOT DO WELL the first year i believe its a delicate plant

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
I BELIEVE FROG BIT DOES NOT DO WELL the first year i believe its a delicate plant
good to know GBBUDD….So many people recommend it when listing pond plants so I thought it was one of the easier ones to grow but now I can see that it is not…after reading more i see that the leaves are supposed to be kept dry…well that’s not going to happen with all the wind lately:(

TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
There was a member on here a couple years ago that had massive success with it and even shipped it out to a bunch of members, so peoples mileage clearly varies.

Do you have a test kit to confirm the prescience of nitrates?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
There was a member on here a couple years ago that had massive success with it and even shipped it out to a bunch of members, so peoples mileage clearly varies.

Do you have a test kit to confirm the prescience of nitrates?
i have tested with my API Pond Master kit …nitrite is 0…

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b/10a
Country
United States
good to know GBBUDD….So many people recommend it when listing pond plants so I thought it was one of the easier ones to grow but now I can see that it is not…after reading more i see that the leaves are supposed to be kept dry…well that’s not going to happen with all the wind lately:(
During the rainy season, I can't see running outside to pat each leaf dry, either. I had no idea it was a fussy plant. Thanks for the info.

Doctor mcboy

hes dead jim
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I know you are in Florida - but could it be springtime temperature changes? I don't know if you have experienced the swings from hot to chilly the way we have, but my frog bit is doing the same thing and I think it is typical for this time of year. Have y'all had any weird cold snaps?
yes we did the trees are coming out almost 2 weeks later than usual. about a couple weeks ago we had a real wicked cold snap here is sunny sc. and my frogbit is the same as rubys right now

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Sorry, but I always chuckle when I see a pond plant that is supposed to have its leaves stay dry. I mean, really? How does that even work? What about when it rains?

Anyway, your pond is still very new, so that's going to make it a bit more of a struggle for plants to get going well. You simply aren't going to have the nutrient load for them to feed off of as you will after the pond's a few years old. Is it in an area where the roots can anchor to a bit of gravel? That might help, but if it is totally free floating, then it's got to depend 100% on the water & that could cause it not to flourish at first. (please note, I'm talking in generalizations here, I've no personal experience with frogbit, so I might be way off base)

Ask a Question