GFCI tripped, pump shut off--in winter

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
@Lisak1 ... what wattage is your heater and where is it placed? Is everything shutdown and drained for the winter? Just curious as with the way I have things setup, I've never had ice. Zone 7b ....

No clue. We don't even use the de-icer on a regular basis. We run our pond all winter long - the de-icer is on stand by in case anything fails mid-winter.

Current temp in my back yard : -5F. Yes, that's a minus 5.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
No clue. We don't even use the de-icer on a regular basis. We run our pond all winter long - the de-icer is on stand by in case anything fails mid-winter.

Current temp in my back yard : -5F. Yes, that's a minus 5.

Wow - That is cold! My deicer is also on standby but I don't have to manual turn it on. Stay warm! :) ...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a/5b
Hubs got the new pump installed a couple days ago in about 3 minutes flat, as expected. He and I had a debate for about a week as to whether it was the pump going bad or if the GFIs were going bad. I told him it HAD to be the pump as I tried plugging it into multiple outlets outside and nothing worked. He swore it was the GFIs as they are pretty old and the old pump worked OK when we tried to run it in the basement utility sink to test it out. I think I won. :p The new pump has been running fine since we installed it and the de-icer is running right alongside it with no issue. It is a bit bigger than the old one, but somehow he managed to snuggle it into the skimmer box and reattach the pipe fittings.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Hubs got the new pump installed a couple days ago in about 3 minutes flat, as expected. He and I had a debate for about a week as to whether it was the pump going bad or if the GFIs were going bad. I told him it HAD to be the pump as I tried plugging it into multiple outlets outside and nothing worked. He swore it was the GFIs as they are pretty old and the old pump worked OK when we tried to run it in the basement utility sink to test it out. I think I won. :p The new pump has been running fine since we installed it and the de-icer is running right alongside it with no issue. It is a bit bigger than the old one, but somehow he managed to snuggle it into the skimmer box and reattach the pipe fittings.

It's usually the pump :) ... imo

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I would have guessed the pump, too. Although we've had situations where it was actually both - one malfunctioning element pushed the other right over the edge - so you never know! Glad to hear it's all working again!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a/5b
I can't believe how much water is evaporating out of the pond thanks to this cold weather. We are now having debate #2--whether or not the water loss is due to a pipe leak or cold weather evaporation. I feel I am going to win this one too... The water level was on the low side when we got the pump running, and after almost a week now of near-zero temperatures and no significant snow or rain, it seems like the pond had the usual amount of cold weather evaporation I've noticed in previous years. I told hubs he's usually out of town when we have these bitter cold spells, so he has never seen how quickly the pond level can drop from evaporation.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
It's evaporation @teeemkay - no question about it. We lose more water in the bitter cold than we do during a long dry hot spell in the summer.

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Keep trying to make yourself feel better with that 10"+ ice cover you have @MitchM ! :LOL:

Ask a Question