Goldfish and Koi problems

Reaction score
What is this black bump on the nose of my goldfish? He has other bumps but they are not black.
fish3012.jpg

fish3014.jpg

What are these bumps on my goldfish and why are they there?
fish3011.jpg

This koi has a transparent white spot on top of his head. What is it?
fish3022.jpg

Reaction score
Look like you have more than one problem going on in that tank. I see ulcers as well as fungus. What do the water tests tell you? or do you test? do you do water changes. How big is the tank and how many fish are in there? All these factors are important to know so we can help.

Reaction score
Are they all in the same tank? Please answer all of Pondlady's questions so we can help.
Do some small water changes and stop feeding. That is about all I can say right now without additional information.

Reaction score
Right now, the fish are in their winter homes. There are 6 medium and 1 baby (about 2 1/2") fish in a 75 gallon tank. Then there are 8 larger fish in a 150 gallon horse trough. In the spring-fall they are all in a pond that is 26"deep and about 8' across.
This problem started a couple of years ago with one or two fish. I think the same fish have the problem, but there are more bumps than before. I try to change the water every so often but haven't lately. I have been adding water when the levels go down.
I don't test the water. I have an ammonia tester hanging in each tank and that has always been good. So I don't bother with anything else. I figured as long as they aren't dying, everything's ok. In fact, I had a newcomer added in the fall of '07. I found him when I was bringing the fish in for the winter. I felt like a new mother all over again.
How long should I stop the feeding for?
Thanks for your help.

Reaction score
They will be fine for a week or two without food - basically while you try to get the fungus under control. I am not sure what the bumps are though.
Do several small water changes.
When do you plan on moving them back to their summer home?

Reaction score
If you can scrape and scope it would identify some of you problem. I would salt the water to .3 and keep it there for a few weeks then do water changes to bring it back down. There are many meds to help cure these problems it would depend on you preferences. I like to use melafix for both of these things following the directions exactly. Many don't like it, but it has always worked for me as has the salt.

Reaction score
bunnymp said:
They will be fine for a week or two without food - basically while you try to get the fungus under control. I am not sure what the bumps are though.
Do several small water changes.
When do you plan on moving them back to their summer home?
I plan on moving them some time in April. I'm trying to get the pond ready but the weather hasn't been cooperating. Hopefully in a few weeks. Thanks for the advice.:icon_smile:

Ask a Question