Goldfish on surface of pond gulping

Reaction score
Country
Australia
A filter system would help and the diy bog I suggested would do you well. You'd need to get a couple of the windowsill planter boxes I linked, some pea gravel, and some water cress from the market (or other shallow rooted marginal pond plant from your local pond supply store), then a pump large enough to push your pond volume through the bog once an hour.

Look at some of the bog threads to get an idea what I'm talking about as it's easy to do. Setting up the pipes beneath the pea gravel in your planters is also easy and you can just tip the planters so they pour over and back into your pond.

With the bottom filled with roots, I don't think you have a serious problem. i'd stir the water (after you get pump) and get out anything loose. Anything that is root bound should actually be okay. The plants for your bog will be the ones to starve out the algae. If you have any other questions, just ask. Seems complicated but it's not; you're doing a mini bog setup but the principles are the same.

Btw, the green water, other than sucking up oxygen, won't hurt your fish. But it is a sign you have an unbalanced system and that's where we're trying to lead. The pea gravel in the bog planters will colonize with good bacteria which will also feed your bog plants. When the bog plants get established, you'll see the algae will disipate and your water parameters will actually get better and you'll achieve equilibrium, such as it is. Remember, the smaller the pond, the easier it is to have the water parameters get out of whack. This bog system will really make a difference. Just for reference, look at one of my latest pics

and see the water clarity my bog provides. The camera is showing the far wall at 14' distance. The water changes are going to help short term re oxygen but won't really change the color permanently as long as algae has something to feed upon. Also, your fountain probably isn't doing as good as it can because you need surface water agitation to give the pond aeration and I bet a lot of fountain water is hitting the water poppies you have now. This would also be helped by having the planter bog system as it'll pour into your pond, aerating as it does.

Also; a flocclant while effectively binding algae will also leave it to die on the bottom of your pond. You'll get clarity but also provide food for the next wave of algae. Best to get other plants to starve the algae out and get you past any algae blooms/cycles.
Thanks again @brokensword... I value your input and advice.

I’ve been consistently changing water out fir the past couple of weekends and can see a change, with the water becoming clearer with each change. Still a way to go but getting there. A friend also got the pump going so that runs regularly to help aerate the water.

I’ll look at making the long term changes you and others have suggested... and opted to not go with the floculent.

Cheers and have a wonderful festive season.

Ask a Question