Gordy's Bait Tank Filter Design Question

Reaction score
Using limestone in an aquaculture is problematic. Limestone does not start to dissolve until the PH is on the low end of nitrifying bacterias' active range. At that point you would need a large surface area of limestone in contact with moving water to avoid having the bacterial conversion of ammonia to shut down. If you only have a few fish and a large area of limestone it would be ok, but at higher fish density you probably wouldn't notice a problem until the fish are stressed out from a high ammonia level.I've seen it happen overnight. It's a lot easier and safer for the fish to keep the alkalinity level above 100 with baking soda. Rocks in your tank will also make it hard to catch your bait.

Minnowman,

Understood. That makes sense, chemically speaking, to me.

I still want the rocks in the tank for habitat, though. Even though it makes it harder to net the fish out. I believe that I should do it regardless as it is what I think the fish would want. Bullheads like hiding places to get out of the direct sunlight during the high points of the day. I figure that I will have to accomodate them on this to make their environment more natural for them. I figure that it is a neccessary evil in this sense.

If I also intend them to breed, which is not really a major consideration for me at this time, but just something to plan ahead for. They need the hiding holes, detritus and a gravel bottom. Rather than using just any old rocks or granite gravel for a bottom bed, I could mix it up with limestone.

Since my tank is a sealed tank, just the same as a lined garden or Koi fish pond, there is no exchange of elements with the natural earth, so I have to simulate that effect as best that I can. A good amount of crushed limestone for the bottom, mixed with granite gravel and other stones, should at least provide something for this purpose and assist in buffering the water with alkalinity.

I will have to monitor the water parameters myself and take advanced precautions if it starts trending the wrong way, before it gets to the point of no return. Maybe I could even use the "canary in a coal mine" principle. Put an ultra sensitive fish in the tank and keep tabs on it for any indications of water quality changes.

That may not tell me a whole lot about the bacteria's condition, it might be too late to recognize that from what the fish are doing. But, I don't know what else I could do beyond continuous testing of the water quality to ensure that it is stable. After three, four or more years of keeping this system running, I should learn what I need to do to maintain the system. Don't you think?

I would be monitoring it constantly during the spring, summer and fall. It wouldn't be until winter that I would ever slack off. Then, I would think that it would simply hold its own for that time since the fish will go semi - dormant anyway.

During the high activity seasons, I would have to monitor the water quality somehow so that I can catch any dramatic shifts right away. Like you said, you have seen it happen overnight.

Putting the limestone in the tank isn't going to harm anything, but it also won't ensure that nothing goes awry either. I will just have to be proactive in the first couple of years of operation to ensure that everything is stable.

Referring to one of my previous statements, these bullheads are tough fish and I believe that I will have a buffer zone before the water quality gets too poor for them. It will be the bacteria culture in the bio-converter that I will fret about. They will be the first to succomb to any dramatic shifts in water chemistry. I don't know how to gauge that except for constant monitoring and testing over time.

I guess if the bacteria colonies die, I will just have to start over with some new ideas. The fish, my fish, will survive for the interim, provided that it isn't too long. If it is, I will simply have to release the fish back into the wild and correct the problem, then start over.

All I can really say is that I have lots of time to learn and no matter what, it will be a much better system than what I have had in the past. It can only get better, you know. Just wish me luck.

Gordy

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You learn by doing Gordy, and reading and asking, and an occasional "poop". Your system is going to be one peachy system.

Reaction score
You learn by doing Gordy, and reading and asking, and an occasional "poop". Your system is going to be one peachy system.

With all of you to help guide me, I think I will be just fine! I have a lot of faith in all of your recommendations and I have confidence in myself as well. I don't think that I will go wrong. I can make the nec. adjustments along the way.

Gordy

Ask a Question