Green metallic looking scum...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
D31FDBF8-130E-4B46-8B32-B70FC79A2A74.jpeg
D31FDBF8-130E-4B46-8B32-B70FC79A2A74.jpeg A03D0161-96DF-42EE-B3D6-B1C17AAC20DD.jpeg hello,

I am new to having a pond and after everything going well for a couple of months, a green metallic scum/film has developed on the surface. Any ideas what it is and how I can treat/get rid of it? Pictures attached.

Thank you.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
To me it looks like a TON of broken down matter in your water column. i'm guessing you don't use a skimmer? this is a rather small pond? few plants ? Water changes aren't standard maintenance?
Minimum of a 50% water change but make sure you skim the surface with the water change. do you have fish? GET A LOT MORE PLANTS INTO THE PLAN. 50% WATER CHANGE every week add detoxifier to the water changes and get the temps close to one another if you do have fish.
One more question. if you put your finger into the water/ pond scum does it stick to your finger or does it run away from your finger

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Welcome @Perry ! Sorry that it's trouble that's brought you to find the GPF, but hopefully you can find some answers here!

Tell us more about your pond - how big, how old, do you have fish and if so how many, what kind, how big, what kind of filtration, any aeration, plants... basically the more you tell us, the better answers we may be able to provide.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our forum Perry, everybody will try to help you figure this one out!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
16579489-E793-4DBD-8CB5-B71EE3D90132.jpeg
It is a very small garden pond as per the photo. We have 1 goldfish and there is a small filtration pump and a couple of aquatic plants.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a net that we use every day to clear the leaves and debris from the surface, but I will buy a skimmer as suggested, thank you. I will then do a 50% water change and add a few more plants. If I dip my finger into the scum, it runs away very quickly.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We have a net that we use every day to clear the leaves and debris from the surface, but I will buy a skimmer as suggested, thank you. I will then do a 50% water change and add a few more plants. If I dip my finger into the scum, it runs away very quickly.
Scum runs away means its natural not man made the skimmer isn't a must. but its apparent the filter might be over worked. for that sized pond i'd treat it more like a n aquarium with water changes and vacuuming

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
It sounds like it could be Cyanobacteria.
Lots of water circulation, water changes, vacuuming the bottom and filtration.
There is an antibiotic available if the problem persists.

Ask a Question