Green pond please help.

Reaction score
Country
South Africa
Hi guys I'm new to the pond hobby. I recently bought a property that had a pond with it. The pump they originally had was sort of a pool pump and I've been having high electricity bills. I went and bought a yt 45000 boyu filter and added some ceramic noodles as well as a uv light. The pond hadnt been running till I moved into the place. I also added pond clear on Monday but not much seems to be happening
There is no thick algae at the bottom of the pond it's just the colour of the water that is green. I don't want to add Barley straw. Any other suggestions as to what I can do so I can see how many fish are in the pond and what I can do to get the water clear.

I worked out that the pond is about 17000 liters.
IMG_20181011_105145.jpg
IMG_20181011_105650.jpg
IMG_20181011_084426.jpg

Reaction score
I've had good luck clearing green water by using montmorillonite clay. I apply a double dose every three or for days and it is quite effective for me. Montmorillonite clay is an all natural substance that adds minerals to the water as well as covering the algae and smothering it. The fish love it and you really can't overdose it. Give it a try.

Reaction score
Country
South Africa
Awesome where can I get some and how long should it take to clear my pond

Reaction score
Awesome where can I get some and how long should it take to clear my pond
It's available at most mail order pond supply sites. The brand I use is MicrobeLift. I can't say how long it will take to clear your pond or if it even will. All I'm saying is I've had good results using it and I put it in my pond once a week or so. Every pond situation is different so I there are no guarantees ever.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Welcome @Jarryd !

When looking at a green pond, the first question is "how can I fix it?" but really it should be "why is it green?" Green water like you have is common with new ponds - they haven't yet developed the eco-system necessary to keep the water clear.

I would suggest you let the filter run for a while before you do anything - give nature a chance to do what she does best: BALANCE!

Two things I would suggest - add aeration if you haven't already and add more plants. Both will help with the process.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I get my off ebay and it is also a cosmetic clay mask product for skin .Ponds take time and patience which is hard to have but 1 day you will wake up and say what the heck happened the water is crystal clear .Scary HUH :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The uv will probably knock down the green water but it is killing the algae spores in the green water and you will probably trade it for hair or red algae as the heavy amounts
of nutrients that gave you green water are still present.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
My water is also green with visible algae. I am getting a good deal of algae in my skimmer basket. Should I also hose down my filters?

Reaction score
If it's working right the UV filter should clear the pond in a week. Make sure that the water isn't running through the light too fast. It needs to go through the light slower so that it has a chance to kill the algae.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
@mheiderscheit - start a new thread. This is an old post that may not get much attention.

Also search for "green water" on the forum - you'll find lots of posts regarding this topic!

Ask a Question