Indoor/outdoor pond/greenhouse combination

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Some of you know by now that I'll be building a new pond, and a greenhouse next year, well my husband just came up with the idea of combining the two so that a portion of the pond could be enjoyed from inside the greenhouse
I love that idea, but is it too crazy?
What could be something to take into consideration if we did decide to actually build this pond/greenhouse comb?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
If it were me, I'd build the new pond, completely under the green house. You could enjoy it year round :)
That would be great, it would for sure solve some of the issues like where to place what, predators, having to fence it in...but wouldn't the pond overheat in the Summer time? ...and what about the fish, would they be happy and healthy living permanently indoor?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Have you looked on you tube to see how many have done that and use the fish poo for the plants the grow inside the greenhouse .
Lol that's what I've been doing for the last few hours!
Most video I watch show small, less than 1000 gls pond, I need at least 6000gls for koi
I'm not concerned over the lack of room for plants, like I said I only use the gh to jump start the season I don't need that much room, but I am concerned about the well being of the fish

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Look at all the koi breeders, lots of them have ponds inside green houses, where they move the koi, once pulled from the mud ponds. I think as long as you can open windows - doors, in hot weather, for ventilation, it should be fine.

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
In the middle of the summer, my greenhouse can reach up to 120 F even with both doors and roof vents wide open. If I had shade cloth on the roof, it would probably be less, but at that time, the greenhouse is empty. During this time, I wouldn't put my worst enemy in there.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
The ground will help regulate the temperature of the pond, plus depending on your humidity level, a fan or misting setup could help with cooling.
As I mentioned in the other thread, design the greenhouse to allow for good cross ventilation.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Thank you all for contributing to this thread, I value your opinions!
As of right now we're leaning towards the partial indoor, any special consideration or Tips as far as building the wall that crosses over the pond?

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Since you really can't use a greenhouse in the middle of the summer, and you want to have plenty of ventilation on the inside part during the summer to minimize the water temp, you might want to consider a wall that is removable or opens or slides open during the summer....think a 3 sided greenhouse during the hot months. This would also allow for any maintenance of the wall as Mitch mentioned. For the cooler months when you can use the greenhouse, you might also want to consider a wall that somehow sticks slightly below the water surface, not above the water surface, so as not to let too much cold air infiltration into the greenhouse part when you are starting you seeds and plants. Perhaps use liner material where the wall dips just below the water surface or something else that is water proof or rubberized.

This sounds like such an exciting project!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Since you really can't use a greenhouse in the middle of the summer, and you want to have plenty of ventilation on the inside part during the summer to minimize the water temp, you might want to consider a wall that is removable or opens or slides open during the summer....think a 3 sided greenhouse during the hot months. This would also allow for any maintenance of the wall as Mitch mentioned. For the cooler months when you can use the greenhouse, you might also want to consider a wall that somehow sticks slightly below the water surface, not above the water surface, so as not to let too much cold air infiltration into the greenhouse part when you are starting you seeds and plants. Perhaps use liner material where the wall dips just below the water surface or something else that is water proof or rubberized.

This sounds like such an exciting project!
Love the idea of opening up one wall, when the greenhouse is not in use, but not the work of taking down and putting up and the storing involved, so we could make more panels on hinges and just opening them up, don't forget that only a portion of the pond will be inside the gh, most of it will be outdoor
The plan for the wall that crosses over the pond, is to submerge the polycarb panels and finish it up with rubber gasket to protect the fish, would that work?

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
OK...I was thinking 50 in, 50 out. Polycarb sheets should do the trick; you are just looking to block the cool air in cooler months.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
The plan for the wall that crosses over the pond, is to submerge the polycarb panels and finish it up with rubber gasket to protect the fish, would that work?

Do you live in an area of the country that gets cold enough to develop ice on the pond?
If so, I wouldn't recommend having any part of the wall submerged, ice movement can be quite destructive.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Do you live in an area of the country that gets cold enough to develop ice on the pond?
If so, I wouldn't recommend having any part of the wall submerged, ice movement can be quite destructive.
We sure do get ice here, and there goes our plan....unless we remove just the parts that touch the water
Any other suggestion on how to build that wall so that it works out for the efficiency of the greenhouse as well as for the fish?

Ask a Question