HAVE A "MYSTERY" FISH IN THE CROWD

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Larkin, seriously? A bird drop? Well, couple of months ago I picked up a kitten that was hitch hiking to I-49, north-bound, and now it's a member of the family, so guess you just never know what can happen! :)

Doubt that it was born in the pond [fish, not kitten], since the pond has only been up & running for about a month, and "Mystery" is the same size as my largest comets. It's got to be that olive-colored one I bought in the beginning. What's confusing me is its secretive nature -- have only seen it a handfull of times. BTW, the area for the turtles is built up on a PVC support frame which means that the fish have the entire "underneath" area to hide. Kinda like a dock or pier. I guess that's where he spends most of his time & why I so rarely see him out with the other fish.

Oh, and where can you get mosquito fish? Er, I mean, where can you BUY mosquito fish?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Well, was finally able to get a picture of "Mystery"!! :claphands: Not the best photo, but it came out a lot better than I expected it would. "He's" not quite black, more a dark charcoal gray. Bottom is a dirty greenish-goldish color [olive?]. I think "he's" really pretty! :wub: About 2" long, and the same size as my first batch of comets. Got to be a comet, right? When I bought him, he was that neutral olive color, and I chose him simply because he DID look different, and like what I thought of as a "wild" goldfish color. Still a little secretive, but not lurking about like he used to.

BTW, do you measure fish from nose to tip of tail?

Attachments

• DSCN5150.JPG
    DSCN5150.JPG
    61.1 KB · Views: 304
Reaction score
I have a bunch of babies in that same color range, but some have started to change color... Ive given up trying to figure out what they are going to do, just smile when I see something new LOL.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I had one all black one and he started changing colors and was black and gold and now he is black ,gold and red and white .

Reaction score
I am hoping for some grandparent colors ... if there are any... to come in... other than a big white guy. and a sass comet, the others are all red (maybe white on the tips of their fins... except one who used to be red later changed to near black... I need more color in the "comet pond"...

Reaction score
We have a few dark colored fish (the others are koi) and they are like phantoms... cant see them til they are right there... LOVE THEM...

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
He's pretty and kinda looks like my chocolate ones that used to be black and I'm wondering if they are turning oj really slowly? Wishing they'd stay the chocolate color tho. I have some about 8" that color now.

IMG_3844.JPG

IMG_1837.JPG

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
TurtleMommy;
Scientifically, a fish is measured from the tip of it's snout to the caudal peduncle, the narrowest part of the body just before the caudal (tail) fin. This is known as 'standard length', usually abbreviated as s.l,!
John

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
TurtleMommy;
Scientifically, a fish is measured from the tip of it's snout to the caudal peduncle, the narrowest part of the body just before the caudal (tail) fin. This is known as 'standard length', usually abbreviated as s.l,!
John

Thanks a bunch! Kinda what I thought, but wasn't sure. Since tail length can vary so much, makes sense that it would be a "body" length.

Ask a Question