HAVE A "MYSTERY" FISH IN THE CROWD

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Don't really know how else to describe it. Just after I set up my pond, about a month ago, bought some comets. Picked out some pretty ones, then decided to go with one that was "olive" colored, as it reminded me of what the "natural" coloration would be. Other than the color, it looked like all the other comets.

Fast forward to the present. Haven't seen that fish much, but there are lots of places to hide. A few days ago, while we were feedng, Hubby & I both noticed a "dark fish" that was hanging back, almost in the shadows, about 6 inches below the fish that were feeding. It was motionless, like it was on guard. Then I moved my arm, casting a shadow, and that fish WAS GONE! Fast! It just disappeared! It showed back up after a few minutes, same behavior. Then didn't see it for a while, but it showed back up today. It doesn't seem to school with the rest of the fish, and when I do spot it, it's so secretive. Doesn't act sick.

I'm just wondering if it's some other kind of fish.....?

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Sounds like the M.O. of a Mudminnow. Google it for more info (Umbra limi).
John

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Sounds like the M.O. of a Mudminnow. Google it for more info (Umbra limi).
John

The fish I have looks more like a comet than the mudminnow, but I'll reserve judgement. This fish is a little more full-bodied and has the "forked" caudal fin. But, then, I am relying on memory here, so....

Thanks for the info. I've never heard of that little guy, and it's an interesting fish.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Wish you could post a picture but guess you can't cuz it's afraid of being seen every time you go near it. How big is it? You haven't had it long so maybe in time it will become less fearful and you'll be able to get a closer look and maybe even snap a picture. Does it come up to eat for you? Makes me wonder if the dark color of a comet when it hasn't changed yet to it's permanent color has some kind of hormonal/chemical thing going on telling it to beware till it matures more. I know that idea is kinda far reaching out there but my dark ones seem more skittish then the other colored ones.

Reaction score
It probably just lacks in personality LOL.

We have several long fin comets... at the time of purchase, they were all the same reddish color with white edging on all their fins... a couple months later, one changed color... looks black...

Our fish are very friendly... ya walk around the pond, they follow you... well today, my husband was working on the waterfall (redoing) and a few of the fish were playing and acting like salmon... well, saw my so called black comet on the lowest rock (on its side)... deep brown on top, gold on the sides... (and dont worry, she went right back into the pond) ... the water clarity is CLEAR, and from the surface, it looks black.

Now another fish... Mr No Personality... we have had for a couple of years... it started life as a feeder goldfish, and someone put it in a pond and it grew and grew... big ugly white fish (standard fins LOL)... It is a solid 12" if not a bit longer. He acts exactly as you are describing your olive kid. He will swim with the others a bit, but prefers to do his own thing. Since he is white and 12+" we can see him at all times... Nothing wrong with him, just a dork;-)

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Hey that's interesting capewind, I never had a colored goldfish go dark, only the dark go to white or oj or oj/white. Guess there are all kinds of variables played into breeding fish and surprises w/ each bunch of fry.

Reaction score
Our "black comet" (I'll likely call her that forever now LOL) isnt all that small either... gonna guess her to be about 9"... was about 4" when we got her. We have about 40 baby comets that we have caught so far, and they are all her coloring... wondering if they are going to stay that color, or go red for a bit LOL. The largest of the baby comets is only coming up on 2.5" now, but their color has been easy to see since they hit about half an inch...

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Guess you will just have to wait to find out. I have some big dark ones, not so much black anymore, but more of a brownish w/ a gold hue. One is prolly 8" and wondering if it will stay dark or one day I will wake up and look out and it will have turned to another color. Just don't understand why some little fish turn oj or whatever and others take awhile but eventually turn and then a few like the big dark one stay that way for yrs. I have a few white and some that look kind of pinkish that I like as they sure do show up nice in the dark pond water. Can't wait for my little Shubbies to get bigger and see how they turn out too. I've got 2 in the big pond and 5 new ones in a bathtub QT pond waiting to fatten up a bit before I put them in w/ the bigger fish.

Reaction score
LOL, I hope to not have to wait at all with the baby comets... they are looking for homes now LOL.

We have 7 shubunkins out in the pond (5 are blue from just a few black freckles, with the darkest being about 30% black marbling over the blue, one is red with black marbling, and the other is red & blue with black marbling)... have caught four shubunkin babies so far... Have one that is coming up on 2" and the rest are still tiny, maybe 3/4 of an inch at best... I was reading that they can take up to 8 months to get their color:-( Going to over winter these babies inside to see what they are going to do... Was planning to put a 10 or 12' above ground pool in the basement for the baby koi, so figure they can just go in with them til we not what we are keeping/placing.

Reaction score
Wow cape, before you know it, youre gonna be in the fish sellin business lol :) You have bue shubbies ?! I've been looking for some here for ever! Don't see those around here often.

JW I just finally watched your videos and pictures! Love your pond set up! And your QT tub? Is that just a Cast Iron tub? I love it, I may steal your idea if that's ok with you? I Need QT pond., right now im using my old small pond. But I would like to have one just for QT. And I love he look of that :)

Reaction score
LOL, not looking for a new business... been planning to pool for a larger QT pond then what we have now... besides, can buy the pool cheaper than another liner, so the liner in the present QT pond is going to become another waterfall with a river (leads to the bigger pond for next year). Posted a pic of the present QT pond here... https://www.gardenpondforum.com/topic/9962-pics-of-our-qt-pond/

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Wish you could post a picture but guess you can't cuz it's afraid of being seen every time you go near it. How big is it? You haven't had it long so maybe in time it will become less fearful and you'll be able to get a closer look and maybe even snap a picture. Does it come up to eat for you? Makes me wonder if the dark color of a comet when it hasn't changed yet to it's permanent color has some kind of hormonal/chemical thing going on telling it to beware till it matures more. I know that idea is kinda far reaching out there but my dark ones seem more skittish then the other colored ones.

I wish I'd had the camera today, for sure, 'cause at first I didn't recognize it as one of the gang. It actually did seem to school for just a minute, then disappeared again. I did [think] I noticed that it's tail seemed very light compared to the rest of the body, but it had a nice, full [single], flowy tail. It's been so long since I bought it (well, a month ago), and now I'm starting to question my memory as to what it looked like. You know how excited we get when choosing new fish ;), I may have just assumed [ooops!] that it looked like the other comets. But I know it was olive-colored, and didn't have any markings such as striping, etc. Wish it would show up more. That one time Hubby & I watched it, it was just "lurking" there. What size is it? Same as my largest goldies, maybe the length of my thumb, including tail. What's that, 2"?

I know that with my box turtles, the younger & smaller they were, the more they hid. Now they venture out into the open as long as there is cover close by [except for going into the pond!!!]. So I can see where a younger fish would have the instincts it needed to stay under cover if it felt vulnerable. Who knows -- but I WANT TO KNOW :) :) :)

PS -- I think I snapped a few shots that morning Hubby & I watched it, but with my camera, probably all I got was the reflection of trees on the water. I'll check, if I didn't delete it.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Who knows maybe it will turn out to be the coolest looking fish in your pond and end up being the friendliest ta boot........ya just never know w/ fish!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Think I saw it today -- at least, I saw a dark-colored fish, so assumed it was "Mystery." OK, so I have named my first fish. Geesh, promised my teenage son that I wouldn't name any of them.....

When I saw it today, it was schooling with about 3 other fish, but after a minute or so, they all dispersed and I lost it. Far as I could tell, it was a comet, but very dark, almost black. Now that the water is finally clearing up, it's much easier to see the fish and tell more details.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
It could be a dark comet that was born in the pond. Even if they are dark doesn't mean they won't change color. I had six that I could see here and there, well this last week I can only count five and one that has a really unique scale pattern of black and orange with the orange just starting to show through. I have another one that swims different than all the rest of the fish in the pond. It darts everywhere and doesn't swim with any of the herd. It's got short fins like a standard Koi, colors like a dark comet or chagoi koi. growing a lot faster than comets, but avoids the other koi. Maybe a hybrid? Watch yours, it may be something born in the pond, but it might be a drop off from a bird as well. Our native Mosquito fish can stay alive in a small plant very easily. a bird flies over and drops a piece of plant off it's leg and they can get a start. I think Dr. Case had a whole school of babies that showed up in his pond that he never figured out where they came from. It can and does happen.

Ask a Question