Having issues with pond pump (air bubbles)

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey all,
I'm having an air bubble issue with my current pond pump setup. I'm using a 325gph submersible pump that's lifting to a 3-5ft elevation, and taking water in through a ~1ft long, 1/2" diameter tube. Problem is, when any air at all gets into the intake line (which occasionally happens), the pump immediately loses its prime and must be restarted. Once the air is out of the line, there are zero issues with the flow through the system.

It's been suggested to me to drill a small hole (~1/32") in the pump housing right after the impeller. Anyone have suggestions? Just want to prevent having to restart the system every time a little air bubble gets into the pump. Thanks!

- Dan

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome!

But I’m confused. If this is a submersible pump, how is it getting air in the line? I didn’t think that submersible pumps had to be “primed.” Well, at least I’ve never come across this issue with any of my pumps.

Just curious, though — how big is the pond/water feature? And has this combination worked in the past? I don’t know the specs of your pump, but maybe it’s the wrong size for what you are trying do do. Maybe it’s not strong enough to go up 5 feet. Personally, I wouldn’t drill a hole in the pump. I don’t see where that will solve anything, except maybe destroy the pump. But just MHO.

Hope you figure it out!

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Sounds like you are using a submersible pump as an external pump, if you are drawing water through a line/hose to it.

If so, get a self priming external pump if you prefer keeping this type of setup.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Sounds like you are using a submersible pump as an external pump, if you are drawing water through a line/hose to it.

If so, get a self priming external pump if you prefer keeping this type of setup.
Something odd about the info given. Maybe the OP will clarify for us.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Agreed, as long as the submersible pump is sufficiently submersed it can’t suck in air.

I had a submersible pump i had to air prime for it to work sucked every time i lost power by it was not my main pump so not a huge deal

Ask a Question