Main Pump Is Having Issues

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Any advice given would be appreciated.

But first I'd like to say thank goodness for two pumps :)

My main 6000 GPH pump started turning on/off, on/off, on/off over the last week. Now it is tripping the GFI plug when plugged in.

I pulled the pump and cleaned it. I thought maybe my 2" hose was reduce to 1" due to blood worms, causing the pump to overheat trying to push the water through the hose.

So I removed the hose last night. Filled it with hydrogen peroxide and let it set for about an hour. Shop vaced it out and hooked it back.

No go, still tripping the GFI.

Any ideas? Just pump going bad maybe? The pump was a very expensive name brand one I bought in Sept 2011 after my original pump went out in only 3 months.

I might be able to return it at the local pond shop, it may still be under warranty, but I am not sure.

Reaction score
pecan said:
Any advice given would be appreciated.

But first I'd like to say thank goodness for two pumps :)

My main 6000 GPH pump started turning on/off, on/off, on/off over the last week. Now it is tripping the GFI plug when plugged in.

I pulled the pump and cleaned it. I thought maybe my 2" hose was reduce to 1" due to blood worms, causing the pump to overheat trying to push the water through the hose.

So I removed the hose last night. Filled it with hydrogen peroxide and let it set for about an hour. Shop vaced it out and hooked it back.

No go, still tripping the GFI.

Any ideas? Just pump going bad maybe? The pump was a very expensive name brand one I bought in Sept 2011 after my original pump went out in only 3 months.

I might be able to return it at the local pond shop, it may still be under warranty, but I am not sure.
Sounds like it's toast, how much was it? What wattage is it rated at? Do you have a watt meter? Is it submersible? What brand?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
It is a submersible, Proline by Pondmaster Hy-Drive Waterfall Pump 6000 GPH cost $454.99.

That's all I know about it.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I still have the reciept and bought it from a local pond shop who are very good about warranty returns. I think I'll take it by to them and see if they will give me another one.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Well good news is I took it in to the very nice pond guy I do a lot of business with. I explained what was happening and he said the pump is bad. 3 year warranty and found another pump for half the price. So new pump (4800 GPH as the 6000 GPH was overkill anyway) and $250 into my account.

Good ending I'd say :)

Reaction score
pecan said:
Well good news is I took it in to the very nice pond guy I do a lot of business with. I explained what was happening and he said the pump is bad. 3 year warranty and found another pump for half the price. So new pump (4800 GPH as the 6000 GPH was overkill anyway) and $250 into my account.

Good ending I'd say :)
So, the big question on everybody's mind now is,,,, what will you spend that $250 on ?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Oh Mucky you had to ask :(

Construction began on our house on Monday. New driveway, addition and a couple other things. 4 Hours into construction they found an extra driveway under our driveway. $1250 extra for the demo of the extra driveway. Yesterday they started digging the footings for the addition and found an interesting underground dicsovery, not sure yet but probably another $1000 extra. :(

Today was the first day that has gone right this week and the $250 will go into the construction fund. :(
Mucky_Waters said:
So, the big question on everybody's mind now is,,,, what will you spend that $250 on ?

Reaction score
pecan said:
Oh Mucky you had to ask :(

Construction began on our house on Monday. New driveway, addition and a couple other things. 4 Hours into construction they found an extra driveway under our driveway. $1250 extra for the demo of the extra driveway. Yesterday they started digging the footings for the addition and found an interesting underground dicsovery, not sure yet but probably another $1000 extra. :(

Today was the first day that has gone right this week and the $250 will go into the construction fund. :(
So what your saying is, it won't be used as fun money. :banana: :frown:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
capewind said:
So what did you get for a replacement pump? and is there a warranty?
Replacement pump is an Eco 4950 submersible pump with a 1 year warranty. It is a mag drive unlike my old one so it will consume less energy.

My original pump when I built the pond went out after 3 months back in 2011, the one that just went out was a trade in on the original so I did not pay to replace that time either. With that said still have only purchased 1 and am now on my third trade in.

I think I will continue to only purchase/trade in pumps with this local pond shop. It makes it easy if one goes out.

As mentioned above do also have an extra 2000 GPH pump in the pond that has been running now for almost 2 years.

Ask a Question