Hello From South Florida

Reaction score
Country
United States
That's a really nice looking pond and surrounding landscaping!

Your water looks nice and clear, so just keep using what ever it is your are filtering it with.

It's a good that you are considering a bog for filtering. I can attest to how effective and low maintenance they are. If you decide to go that route, there are many threads here on the subject.
Thanks Joe. It looks even better when the weeds are pulled and the banana plants are trimmed. Ih has been so hot and humid outside.

Is there a feature on here to do multi quotes at one time? I'm not seeing one.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Welcome. Since you already added koi if I read that correctly, then you’ll want the bog filter for sure. Once you get hooked, you’ll fall in love. The one thing that concerns me is depth, with the heat down there, is the pond deep enough for cool water at the bottom? To be honest, if I lived in a tropical area, I’d be having a pond full of tropical fish! Gouromies, neon tetras, guppies, probably a betta or 5, fish which like warmer water. And lots and lots of plants! However, I understand why you don’t, but just in case you ever change your mind...!
I personally love a pond I can put my feet into, and sitting surrounded by blooming water lillies is amazing. Their scent is delicate and yet delicious. Koi like to eat water lillies, so be sure you read on how to protect them.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I raised some from 2" - 3" to about 8" until someone killed them otherwise I would probably still have them.
That was meant as they don't stay small for long i have koi that were born in the pond three years ago that are now 10" long and they are not butterfly. However if you get to know some other koi folks not all koi grow like a weed i do have one i bought that was about 5 inches when i got him and has grown very slowly, and so has his off spring. the baby is now only four inches but is three years old

Reaction score
Country
United States
That was meant as they don't stay small for long i have koi that were born in the pond three years ago that are now 10" long and they are not butterfly. However if you get to know some other koi folks not all koi grow like a weed i do have one i bought that was about 5 inches when i got him and has grown very slowly, and so has his off spring. the baby is now only four inches but is three years old
Mine never grew that fast. It probably took about 4 - 5 years to get to that size. I don't plan on getting any more koi, but just some goldfish.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Why would you say such a thing? You don't know what his filtration system is like. This reminds me of the tang police on Reef Central. If anyone from here is on there they would know what I'm talking about.

No need to get snappy! Hope he does have great filtration but still koi love a lot of room to move around and too many in a pond that size is usually not ideal especially if he already has his own koi and will be putting more in there. How many does he have now?

Reaction score
Country
United States
No need to get snappy! Hope he does have great filtration but still koi love a lot of room to move around and too many in a pond that size is usually not ideal especially if he already has his own koi and will be putting more in there. How many does he have now?
I wasn't being snappy, I was simply asking you a question. I don't know why it would matter to you how many koi he has. It's his business.

TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
I wasn't being snappy, I was simply asking you a question. I don't know why it would matter to you how many koi he has. It's his business.
I think you will find that this forum is full of helpful people, but we do not shy away from giving the facts, if you don’t want feedback on how to improve your system, then this is probably not the best place to be.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I think you will find that this forum is full of helpful people, but we do not shy away from giving the facts, if you don’t want feedback on how to improve your system, then this is probably not the best place to be.
I have read comments from plenty of helpful people on here, but when someone states it as a "fact" that my friend can't have any more than 3 koi and nothing else in a 3000 gallon size pond that's where I have an issue. They have absolutely NO CLUE as to what my friend's set up consists of, so until they do they should keep such "factual" comments to themselves. Now they could have asked what his set up was like and what kind of filtration he has before making such a statement, but it really should be of no concern to them. I'm not being snippy, I'm just stating the facts.

BTW, they were saying what should or shouldn't be done with my friends pond. I wasn't asking for help with that. I just happened to mention his pond. He already belongs to a different koi forum. I think it's something like Koi Keepers of America. As for me, I have no problem taking constructive criticism or advice. That's why I'm here.

How many koi do you have in your pond?

TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
I have read comments from plenty of helpful people on here, but when someone states it as a "fact" that my friend can't have any more than 3 koi and nothing else in a 3000 gallon size pond that's where I have an issue. They have absolutely NO CLUE as to what my friend's set up consists of, so until they do they should keep such "factual" comments to themselves. Now they could have asked what his set up was like and what kind of filtration he has before making such a statement, but it really should be of no concern to them. I'm not being snippy, I'm just stating the facts.

BTW, they were saying what should or shouldn't be done with my friends pond. I wasn't asking for help with that. I just happened to mention his pond. He already belongs to a different koi forum. I think it's something like Koi Keepers of America. As for me, I have no problem taking constructive criticism or advice. That's why I'm here.

How many koi do you have in your pond?
Thank you for the clarification, I actually had read somewhere n here that it was a 700 gallon pond, so that is why I was so firm, a 3k gallon pond for three koi in my mind is actually plenty of room for them, as for my pond, I took it upon myself to be a responsible owner, and after delays in being able to build a larger pond for my fish, I have since regimens all of my koi. I really do think that goldfish are enough for me.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
@ReneeFLL you said you were going to give your friend your koi when they got bigger. All I was saying was since your friend already has a pond and it is 3000 gals usually people need more room especially if they have fish already. Most people try to have lots of room for them as they get so big. If your friend has no other koi and just a few goldfish and really good filtration perhaps it could work. I only asked if they had very good filtration as I was thinking of the fishes health.But for you w/only 700 gals in the long run it will prolly not be beneficial to the koi for moving around and enough oxygen. If you don't want to discuss it then so be it. Sounded like you were upset w/me for just asking about your friends pond. Am I allowed to ask how many fish your friends pond has or is that off limits? Also can I ask you how many koi you have now that you will be giving to your friend?

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I'm thinking of getting a different filter for it. I would love a diatomaceous earth filter like we have on our pool. I haven't read anyone on here mentioning they have one so maybe it's not a thing. Should I just keep the one I have and do a bog to keep the water clear?

Yeah, diatomaceous earth filter not the best for a pond as it is used to polish water and trap fine particles. In a pond it is going to clog quickly, with all herbaceous debris that gets in the water from aquatic plants and surrounding plants.

If you are looking for a filter system with minimal maintenance a bog is the way to go, if built and sized correctly it will keep your water clear and the water quality where it needs to be.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yeah, diatomaceous earth filter not the best for a pond as it is used to polish water and trap fine particles. In a pond it is going to clog quickly, with all herbaceous debris that gets in the water from aquatic plants and surrounding plants.

If you are looking for a filter system with minimal maintenance a bog is the way to go, if built and sized correctly it will keep your water clear and the water quality where it needs to be.

Thank for the info, guess I'll have to nix that idea. I will have to look into what size of a bog would work best. I don't want it to take up to much space under the gazebo so I'll see what I can find.

Reaction score
Country
United States
@ReneeFLL you said you were going to give your friend your koi when they got bigger. All I was saying was since your friend already has a pond and it is 3000 gals usually people need more room especially if they have fish already. Most people try to have lots of room for them as they get so big. If your friend has no other koi and just a few goldfish and really good filtration perhaps it could work. I only asked if they had very good filtration as I was thinking of the fishes health.But for you w/only 700 gals in the long run it will prolly not be beneficial to the koi for moving around and enough oxygen. If you don't want to discuss it then so be it. Sounded like you were upset w/me for just asking about your friends pond. Am I allowed to ask how many fish your friends pond has or is that off limits? Also can I ask you how many koi you have now that you will be giving to your friend?
The statement that I didn't like was "Even in a 3000 gal pond your friend could only have about 3 koi and nothing else." You were making it as a factual statement. Maybe if you would have said should instead of could that would have made a difference since you know nothing about his pond other than it's 3000 gallons.

I think it's best if we just drop the subject about his pond and fish. I'm here to learn more about ways to make my pond better. I have already bought my koi so it's to late for that. I won't be buying anymore koi since I didn't know they created more waste than goldfish. Before my koi were killed I never had any up at the surface for air.

Ask a Question