Hello... my name is Shell-fish and I have an addiction

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
...well not much of an addiction but more of a bug.

I've always been fascinated with anything that lives and breathes in water ever since I fell in to my local park river by accident and caught glimpses of water life for brief few seconds before my uncle pulled me out. No serious harm but a little wet behind the ears :)

Ever since that point, I've been a keen fish enthusiast since keeping, looking after fish is kinda like my zen as I get enjoyment out of it.

Now currently, I have a 240 reef tank going on to an upgrade to a 500 litre 5x2x2 ft. Soon as I can finish off the room painting (bit of a lazy sod mode at the moment)

Now for the pond..... my current patio pond is just a wee 200 litre pond with about 7 shubunkins (originally 5 but have spawned) and my next upgrade I want to make my zen where Instead of a rectangle pond sitting on top of my slabs, want something where I can add plants, have a safe haven for fry and also enough space for the fish. I'm not going on full on koi as would need a fair size setup so will be easy starters for now.

Current tank pics so not much to view. All filter is from a oase internal filter pump with water fountain and UV. Netting made as DIY attempt to stop heron bird snatching fish like it did last time, lost 3 :(

DSC_0870.JPG
DSC_0871.JPG
DSC_0872.JPG

My next stage is once we have the garden all redone, make a proper patio pond but need some advise on how I can make a custom design pond using brickwork and also have accessories hidden with a small waterfall.

Wish me luck :)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey all,

Well it's been a little while but had to save every penny to have our garden completely redone as well as our driveway.
Now before I end luge, I pinched the pond idea from a youtube video mainly because it's something I just fell for when I first saw it. You may already know/seen this design before :)

As you can see pics include building stages as well as finish product.

Pond dimensions are

3m x 2m and pond water level is about 70cms
Filtration is using a Oase 18000 kit (UV and pump) defo overkill but with no sun cover and open space, want to make sure I have sufficient filtration.
Few floating pond plants currently in but will be looking for others once I can find adequate stockist.

As for the fish, defo no koi's as this pond isn't big enough so I have plenty of pond "filler" fish

5 x Red Goldfish
5 x Canary Yellow Goldfish
5 x Sarasa Comets
5 x Shubunkins
As well as the other 8 I had in storage vat from previous pond.

Pagoda style cover on this pond with green netting on top. I know this won't stop herons or any other prey but for now, until I can get plants in, will have to do.
I am looking for a pond cover but due to Indian sandstone around the pond, going to be difficult to secure in.

Sadly during the weekend I filled the pond and started the filter to make sure the 2 water fall and pond seeding process tarted. Following morning I noticed that 1/2 of the water line dropped overnight and started to worry. After close inspection, looks like one of the water fall sections from filter isn't sealed properly and water leaking out.
Confirmed this buy topping up the water again without the filter running and so far no water dropping below fill line in pond.

Hoping to resolve this week and get the filtration and waterfall back online.

Wish me luck and any advise would be much appreciated.

DSC_0056.JPG
DSC_0057.JPG
DSC_0058.JPG
DSC_0067.JPG
DSC_0068.JPG
DSC_0069.JPG
DSC_0070.JPG

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Looks so nice but sorry about the snag w/the falls. Hope the leak is just in one area and is not too hard to fix.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looks so nice but sorry about the snag w/the falls. Hope the leak is just in one area and is not too hard to fix.

Thanks J.W.

Luckily builder is working around my area so will be over in next few days to inspect the waterfall after filter and resolve :)

Ask a Question