Hello! Pond in the Planning Stage!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello! I'm glad I've found the forum as it looks like a fountain of valuable information!

My Fiancée and I have recently purchased our first home and I'm looking to build a pond in the back garden. The house is taking up most of our time and efforts at the moment, but I'm hoping by next spring I will be able to make a start on building the pond.

Our garden is partly on a slope with a flat area at the bottom that is currently a lawn. My aim is to build a small stream to flow down the slope and into a pond on what is now the lawn area.

Last edited:

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
upload_2018-9-18_9-21-21.gif
@StuartIOM

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Welcome @StuartIOM ! You're doing well, to start planning before you start digging... some folks go at it backwards and come here to ask "what do I do NOW!"

Post a picture of your intended spot - we may be able to help out with placement. The low point in a yard isn't always the best spot, but if it's your only choice there are ways to make it work better for a pond.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
welcome and have you thought about pondless ,since this is your first home and want to put your stamp on the home for now a pondless may be a better choice at this time and will be easier to take care of if you are working couple and may be planning on children in the future .

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
a pondless may be a better choice at this time and will be easier to take care of

I know you feel your pond is a lot of work @sissy but I have to say I have both a pond and a pondless and I wouldn't say one is any more work than the other. I don't do much at all to either of them now that they are established. Both have to be kept topped off, both have plants that need to be groomed, both collect debris that has to be cleaned out - but on the whole, I would not describe my pond as being a burdensome amount of work. My lawn is WAY more work than my pond - now THAT I have plans to get rid of!

The concern about a pond with small kids is a consideration - but no more than having a pool. That's a risk some people aren't willing to take.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My lawn is WAY more work than my pond - now THAT I have plans to get rid of
lol
I put such a hurt on my lawn this year I have only cut it once it only started to grow back in early august

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
We have one small area of grass left in our backyard for the dogs - the rest is either pond, patio, mulched path, or stepping stones. And we have a serious plan in place to remove most if not all of the grass from the front yard next year - I'd rather garden all day long rather than tend a boring lawn. Grass is overrated in my book. (AND I MEAN THE STUFF YOU MOW YOU GUYS!)

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have removed a lot of grass/lawn Replaced with ponds, plants, wildflower gardens. My mowing has gone from around 3 hours to about 1.5 hours. I am currently removing more grass for more seeded gardens.

And with the bog that takes care of my pond, I hardly touch the ponds during the summer. It just runs.

Love my ponds and the critters / bugs/ birds it brings to the yard.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
mulch costs money and trimming around stones and paths is a pain in the back .I have 3 acres and have tried to cut back on the trimming by doing the dig out around all the gardens so I can just lean the tires of my ride on mowers into them to edge them .My neighbors put in pondless and now want a pond because there is so little work on the pondless feature ,but then shell shock hit when they got the electric bill for the pondless .The pump uses 940 watts of power .I talked to him yesterday and he was asking about looking for a more energy efficient one .I told him best is to look online as he had no clue the pumping power or gph the one he has .500 dollar electric bill GEEZE .What are they running besides the pond .The house is only around 1600 sq. ft .I think he was shocked when I told him mine .

Ask a Question