j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
You could use the net but the koi must be bigger than the holes in the weighted net and the net has to touch the bottom so fish can't swim under it or around it. My friend and I did this w/her koi but hers were quite large koi. She used pillow case type material open on both ends and cut on the seam to lift them and transfer them into tubs so as not to damage their scales.

ashirley

Annie in SC
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
I feel your pain. I've had my pond for seven years and it was never clear, despite my best efforts. We installed a bog filter this year and within two weeks it was clear all the way to the bottom. Its about 3-4 feet deep. It was the best decision I ever made and I wish I had done it years ago.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I went for broke and loaded the pond with koi from little guys to over 24" AND IN THE NEIGHBORHOOD OF 50 in a 12000 gallon pond. The little guys are easy to catch!!!!!! yes i said easy well from fry to 3" is what i am referring to little guys . I took a five gallon water jug and cut the top off right where it is at it's widest and starts to narrow. right along that seam / area. ONCE THE TOP IS CUT OFF " Place a couple small rocks in the jug. for weight" SPIN the top around so that now the top is pointing into the jug. drill some small holes for some zip ties and secure the two pieces together put some food in to the jug through the spout and tie a rope to the handle submerge the jug and leave it alone for a few hours come back latter and whalah caught baby fish. OH and this is key STOP FEEDING THE FISH they will survive just fine .
an even easier way is to add a sun fish or blue gill. bass and crappy will do the job as well but when they get bigger they will try to eat fish there own size. To remove a bass that's grown to large is simple hand a fishing rod to a kid and make there day.Without seeing the filter setup the way the pond is set up and how often and how much you feed we can only guess and tell you what has worked well for those here . The general census is to use a bog like mentioned above no cleaning well not every year more like possible once every 5 years. i built both the snorkel type of bog and the pea stone type and the clarity is as good as i hoped maybe too good . theres no longer a good growth of algae on the rocks. i belive the fish are eating it all as i do not feed them. well i may start with a single small feeding every other day . we will see i want the peach fuzz.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
GBUDD- just keep an eye on your koi for weight loss it you do not have plants for them to eat. I stopped feeding my koi and had only a few lilies hanging on the sides. Koi got skinny fast and going into winter thats not good so back to heavy feeding 1-2 times a day.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Yup Like i said i am stepping up the feedings i need the peach fuz on the rocks to out weigh the feeding/ harvesting from the fish eating it. As the long time ponders know here it's all about balance and finding what works for your set up and your water quality and parameters.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My fish inhale the anacharis and hornwort. They all have fat little bodies. I do watch this time of year. If I think they are skinny I do feed. but so far they have never been skinny. No Koi

Ask a Question