Extending existing garden help

janine9620

janine
Reaction score
Getting ready to start a rebuild on my pond.....Would like to use as much stuff as possible. Size will be 35Long x8 at it's widest and 3 at it smallest width, which will be the deepest area also in the middle. I have a sequence 750 3800GPH pump with a Ultima 2 filter. I will be sloping the ends from 24 inches down to 48 in the middle, where a bridge will be over that area, (walk way) Kinda two 6'-8' w x 15' long ovalish ponds linked with a 4-5' l x 3 ' wide canal? BD in the center under bridge. It is such a long span and really I have to go one end or the other for the pump equiptment, am I better off to add another pump in a skimmer, or another external at the new end and use the present set up from the BD to SC to the pump and then Ultima filter, then back through a 1/2 whiskey veggie filter into pond. By the way, BD gravity fed to SC, is that best using the shortest possible pipe or does that matter? Thanks much for any help and advisement
janine :)

Reaction score
Hi Janine. I am planning a similar build to you this coming spring (I hope). It will be closer to 20 feet long. but long nonetheless. If you plan on going deeper in the center and having a BD in the middle, you could have a TPR on each opposite end so that water is pushed from both ends to the center.

Personally, with a pond that long, I think you need more than one BD. Have you throught about starting at 2 feet on one end and then going to 48" all the way at the other end instead? Sort of like a river flow model.... You'd have a TPR on the low end pushing down toward the deeper end. I'd do a BD almost near the center and then one at the end.

janine9620

janine
Reaction score
I did concider the swooping of water, right now my pond is 15L x 5W and on the return I have a pvc that is straight down in the water...over edge, with holes, works beautifully, and the koi love swimming in it. This will be the first time cutting the liner though? I'm a lil nervous :) My original thought was to do one long with one deep end at one side, I just wasn't sure if the water force would be great enough, so I figured if the water pushed from both sides and swooped it towards the center that may work, I could do the TPR , hadn't really thought of that, also the double drain idea?. I kinda am liking the deep end being under the brdige now, hiding places:)

Reaction score
Hi Janine,

I a neophyte ponder. Would you mind defining TPR and SC? Also, do you have much problem with predators?

janine9620

janine
Reaction score
TPR, is a midway outflow return into the pond with movable directional hole, similar to that in a swimming pool, The SC is the settling chamber, the Bottom drain will gravity feed there, then I wil pump top clean water from there through pump and filter before it is returned to pond.

Reaction score
A TPR is a Tangential Pond Return. It's simply the end of the water line where you force water through. For example, if you have a corner in a pond that is a bit of a dead spot, you can simply aim a spray of water (under the water line) into the dead spot so that it forces water movement in that area. Here's what they look like.

If you are worried about the water force being high enough in that spot, you could certainly reduce the pipe at the end--let's say from a 2" to a 1" so that it will push the water out at an even faster rate. You can buy an eductor ($50), which basically does the same thing but you pay a price for it.

Don't be afraid of cutting through the liner. Put in your bulkhead and slather PL Roofing sealant all around it and you will be leak free.

If you're doing a pond that long, a double drain would be a benefit.

Ask a Question